NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently broke an old Plano box. I ordered two types hoping to choose one but I can't. They are both Flambeau. One is the deep style which I thought would help with my mirrolure type hard baits which are always tangled and get dirty/rusty. This would help but it is so deep I think I would end up with a pile of junk at the bottom of he four sections. The second is like the original one I've had but larger and deeper. It won't help in the longer hard bait department so I need advice please. I will end up using one of these so I don't need suggestions of other boxes.
Thanks uploadfromtaptalk1407257839586.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
I think your right about the Deep one becoming a catch all. I would be handy for somethings though.

Darrell

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10-4 on the small box. I think this will work out. I'm just hanging my hooks off the edges. I've converted everything to single hooks except a few new baits. The pool float chucks may help the other stuff from tangling.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Challenger- that looks great. I would never have thought of hanging the hooks like that. Also like the idea of a small pair of cutters in the box. Are you running your topwater plugs with a single hook off the back?

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
How do the hook ups compare with a treble, and do you think the bigger gap of the single holds better? I have used a single from the middle on some cranks I use for mountain trout with good results.

Darrell

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Challenger- that looks great. I would never have thought of hanging the hooks like that. Also like the idea of a small pair of cutters in the box. Are you running your topwater plugs with a single hook off the back?
Those cutters are actually some fishing pliers. They have a small cutter on them. If you can imagine those things are at well over 30 years old.
I can't compare the strike to land ratio difference between treble hooks and singles because:
A. I don't catch enough fish to be able to do even a two subject study
2. I switch my treble to singles as soon as I can or I cut off one of the three from a treble immediately.
I have always thought treble hooks give the fish more of a chance to get off because they can use one of the three hooks that is free as a lever and pry the one that's set out of their flesh. Secondly treble hooks IMO are an incredible pain to get out of a fish that is large and flopping. I've come too close to getting them impeded in me try no to pry one out when the fish suddenly goes nuts. Even with pliers it seems too easy to get a hook in the hand. Imagine two hooks in the flopping fish and one in your hand. Ouch!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Those cutters are actually some fishing pliers. They have a small cutter on them. If you can imagine those things are at well over 30 years old.
Manley fishing pliers! Some of the best!

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lord knows I need pliers. Had a short drum yesterday put two hooks into my hand at the pad under the thumb situated so they caused my thumb to half way close. Had to yank them out with the pliers with the fish still on. No way to remove the fish from the plug first. Hard to explain. I snatched the shank of the offending treble real quick and it didn't hurt too bad but it was bloody.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts