NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tackle Monkey is out in full force. Dick's started there biggest fishing sale of the year this past Sunday. Here's a link for the sales circular, just type in your zip and go:
http://dickssportinggoods.shoplocal.com/DSG/?&ab=OAS_HP:Circular

Lots of baits on sale like Gulp! and other good stuff.

Unsolicited Endorsment - Dick's gave my Cub Scout Pack an extra 15% off everything, even sale items, that we bought for the upcoming fishing derby. AND honored a couple "$10 off a $50 purchase" coupons the Johnston County Turkey Hunters gave us. Very cool of Dick's. We bought $300+ worth of prizes and tackle for the boys for about $200. The $200 was donated to the pack by RGD Project Management, Inc. in Cary www.RGDinc.com . Thanks to all.

We're going to have about 35 scouts and their families fishing. Thanks to both of these companies, we might help get another generation or 2 excited about fishing and respecting our resources.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
That is Great PH - On behalf of many let me say Thank-you for your involvement and encouragment with those young soon to be anglers! I bet some of those boys wouldn't have the opportunity to fish otherwise! I wish you the best of luck and my prayer is that God sends a bunch of hungry fish your way that day!

Thanks for the tip on Dicks. There is one about 1/2 mile from my office - so you know where I will be at lunch time today :)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
ParrotHead said:
The Tackle Monkey is out in full force. Dick's started there biggest fishing sale of the year this past Sunday.
I got an extra surprise when I stopped by -- I decided to pick up their lightweight breathable waders with a $20 rebate, but the Cary store didn't have the rebate certificates, so they took the $20 off at the register. Worked for me!

Lefty

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Tried to load up on the Gulp! - it amazes me that on the third day of the sale there was hardly any left. Got what I could. The other softbaits on sale had plenty of stock left on the shelves though. Picked up a bunch of Gamakatsu hooks - hardly ever see them on sale across the board so Il,oaded up on many different styles and sizes I use. Also picked up a few other items. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

The store here in Clayton still had full racks of the sw gulps. If there's something you didn't get, but you wanted, let me know. I can do a pick up for ya. We'll work out how to get 'em to you. You know I'm not gonna use them before you get them:D.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I guess I blew my shot at it today. Iwas right near one and went to some other stores and changed my mind before I got there. I would have stopped had I known. I did make it by the flyshop though.:eek: Those economics just don't gee haw with me. Talk about extortion. 14.25 for 25 2/0 hooks. Not to tie some flies that might not make it thru 5 fish. Not this ol' boy. went to wallyworld and bought 50 254F Eagle Claw hooks for less than $5.00 I thought a dime each was really high. There are a few things you might as well pay fly shop prices for though or do without. About impossible to find otherwise. AL

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Al, all Gamakatsu hooks are 20% off, like mike said, they're never on sale. But, I'm no Fly Tie Guy. They may not work for what you need, good hooks though.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
ParrotHead said:
Mike,

The store here in Clayton still had full racks of the sw gulps. If there's something you didn't get, but you wanted, let me know. I can do a pick up for ya. We'll work out how to get 'em to you. You know I'm not gonna use them before you get them:D.
Thanks Gary but I have plenty if you got me some it would just mean I had more than plenty:) But I do appreciate the offer.

Still look forward to diving with you this summer.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Being this far inland most of the hooks in the stores are bronze worm hooks, catfish, bream, crappie or freshwater trout hooks. Those I can usually get pretty cheap. I can even occasionally get deals on some more common saltwater hooks but most hooks suitable for tying flies are much harder for me to get deals on. They are usually special purpose items but there are some exceptions. Basically you just have to pay if you want to play certain games. It's more about volume: but the fact fly fishermen usually get caught up in details and overlook price doesn't help keep the price down either.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Al, step away from the tackle. I think your tackle-holism is a little more serious than I realized :p. Maybe that's why I can't get into the whole fly tie and fly fishing thing. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out whether to tie a uni-knot or a palomar. Tippets, backing and hair stackers? When do you have time to actually fish? I am amazed!

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed with the patience and ability and maybe even a little jealous.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike, I hope to pull that off in a couple months. Have you dove those wrecks before? What are the conditions like? Water temp in May, visibility, current, typical inhabitants? Are they named sites (known wrecks)? OK, I'm getting excited :D. I haven't dove since Mexico, almost a year and 1/2 ago.

Mama can't dive in her delicate condition, but maintains she has no interest in diving unless the vis is near triple digits. She gave her blessin already though. Ain't they great?! I need to go hug her again, I certainly got the better deal in that transaction.

Start looking at the calendar, we'll figure out when.​

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
PH---This is the time of the year to get totally engrossed with fly tying. Keeps you out of tackle shops, somewhat. I'm going to buy ONE piece of Gulp Bait and seal it in a fruit jar with some of my flies for thirty days to see if it helps them attract fish.;)

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, to use Mike's line, I have several packs that are only missing one piece. I could give a deal on any or all of 'em.

I looked at that flyer again. I didn't realize that they were selling the gulps as relatively cheap as they were. 2 for $5 is a reasonable price.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Gary - The wrecks are well known. They are the Hutton, Suloide & Indra. I have dove the Hutton and Suloide but not the Indra. The Indra was sunk in the early 90's as an artificial reef. I'm looking over my dive log and I see many dives on the Hutton or Suloide in May and few in April. Water temps will be in high 60's/70's in May. Visibility is usually around 30' but can be better (I have one dive I recorded 60' on the Hutton) and of course it can be a lot worse. They are in 60-70' and have lots of wildlife on them. Sometime in May sounds fine - keep me posted - right now I'm wide open that month. I'm making some dives down this way in April and I'll be in Africa half the month of June, so May sounds good. You coming down Memorial Day week-end?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The 2 for $5 price they advertised is a bit misleading - it's actually $5 a pack on sale (about a dollar savings) but Berkely has a rebate on any of their products right now (including Gulp!). Spend $10 or more on Berkley products combined and they will give you a $5 rebate. You can get up to 5 rebates per household but only 1 per day. It's a mail in rebate.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but Forrest's comments about putting his flies in with a peice of Gulp actually might work.

A Gulp bait will last a long time on a given fishing day (often the entire trip) but once it has been in the water they say not to put it back in the pack with the fresh ones. But often I try several before I find the right color/shape combo for those picky winter trout. What I have learned to do is put the used ones in an old Gulp bag (with the juices still in the bag) and save them for tipping rigs or cutting into strips for bottom fishing. We had very good luck on a recent Black Bass outing using the old gulp! this way.

So Forrest - I'll send you an old pack if you want cause Gary might need to hold on to his open pack for a souvenier to show his Grand Kids. After all, once the Marine Fisheries folks figure out that Gulp! is causing the fishing population to diminish so fast they might OUTLAW it! ;) :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike, Memorial Day weekend is a usual "going home weekend". Might even be able to make it an extra long weekend.

60's-70's....brrrrr! Does your favorite dive shop rent full wetsuits? All I have that I can still wear is a shorty. I guess I'm spoiled with tropical/carribbean waters that are around 85.

I'll look up the wrecks to get familiar. Sounds like bottom fishing hotspots. Is there a problem with that? Can folks fish off the "dive boat"? Never done it or seen it, but Seabiscuit might be interested if that's a possibility.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Mike

This past Christmas my wonderful wife chased off the tackle monkey or egged him on. I'm not sure which , but she made sure Santa brought me a new tacklebox and I think she had Seabiscuit suggest a good one. Well, I finally got it fitted out for the rest of the year AND I'm ready for the NC Angler "Electric Chicken vs Gulp! vs Forrest's Hat vs Sinker Man Shrimp" fishing tournament.

Bring it on!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.