NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed the fishing shows in Greensboro and Raleigh the last two weekends, but that was OK because I was able to get on the water both weekends in the kayak. Sitting at home this weekend has me needing a fix. Looking for some suggestions on good tackle shops, in case the weather stays more suitable for shopping than fishing. The kind of shops where I can spend as much time looking & touching as I do driving from Raleigh, or somewhere that you can hit a handful of shops on the route. Specifically looking for a good inshore spinning combo - probably a Penn reel (thinking 440 ssg) on a 7'6" rod, but plenty interested in freshwater stuff too.

I'll post some of my favorites as a comment - please follow suit. Maybe even an NCAngler get together might be in order if we can find a place where a handful or two of us can get easily get to.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BPS in Charlotte is always a fun place to get lost for a couple hours. Plenty of toys for the kayak and good BBQ stops in & around Lexington are a bonus. But that's a very full day from Raleigh.

Bobcat's in Clarkesville, VA is a nice place for freshwater lures - wasn't into saltwater at all the last time I was up there and don't recall what they had for rods/reels.

Roscoe's in Wake Forest is a nice local shop. Good people. Hard to kill an hour in there.

Carolina Outdoor Sportsman on Strickland in Raleigh is a pretty new shop - about equal salt & fresh.

I've seen signs advertising the Neuse Sport Shop in Kinston - never been there. Seems like it might be the kind of fresh/salt combo place I'm looking for. Anybody know what its like?

Might as well collect favorites from all around the state. What's good out there?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
There's a Gander Mtn in Greensboro... never been there, but it's closer than Concord. I've also never explored the Orvis in that monster mall on US-1 & 540.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gander mtn - forgot that one; been there & its a good one. Seemed like a very good electronics section. Lots of freshwater, some saltwater. Like BPS there are nearby shopping distractions for the Mrs... Might be a good candidate for a central NC get-together.

Orvis- expensive & exclusively Fly fishing ("not that there's anything wrong with that"). An interesting diversion if you are at Triangle Town Center, but if you're not independently wealthy and a fly fisherman, you'll find more to like across the street at Dicks. At least they're right near each other, which makes for a good field trip from the mall-proper.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
That's what I expected from Orvis, but still had hoped to get a chance to see it for my own bad self last time I was up there. Which, by the way, was the first time I was up there. Don't get to that end of town very often.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Thanks Luremaker - both for posting and for being a site sponsor. Sorry to have missed you - we'll have to get a Raleigh contingent down east to Havelock to check out the store (not sure of the dividing line between "down east" and just "east" - if I got it wrong, somebody please educate me). That'll be a good weather trip when I can do some fishing in the neighborhood.

Now that I'm looking, I see some tackle shops on the Fishing Links page (which is where the ones discussed here should probably be archived to), but I don't see a way to list the sponsors. Have I overlooked a button? Have I overlooked other sponsors? (reminder to self - read that "New Tutorial on Categories, Forums, Threads and Posts" post someday...)

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Jeff, any member can add a link in the Fishing Links section. I should probably make it a point to do that for our sponsors if they haven't already done so. But I don't have a way yet to feature sponsors there. That is a great idea though that I will look into. Primarily for the $75/year NC Angler Sponsor membership a member can add a 600x60 pixel graphic banner link to their signature file that links to their website if they have one. So everytime they make a post their product or business gets visibility. I could create a page that lists Captains Club members and NC Angler Sponsors which would be a quick way to recognize contributing members. What do you think?
Now that I'm looking, I see some tackle shops on the Fishing Links page (which is where the ones discussed here should probably be archived to), but I don't see a way to list the sponsors. Have I overlooked a button? Have I overlooked other sponsors?

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could create a page that lists Captains Club members and NC Angler Sponsors which would be a quick way to recognize contributing members. What do you think?
I certainly don't want to disrespect the sponsors with a post like this, so its good to make sure they are at least as visible as the posts. I like the idea of a permanent recognition page. Might also be neat to see the sponsor banners on some kind of scrolling widget (like the pictures on the main page). Get some of your best web design guys on it and lets see what they come up with!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi Jeff, I know that this is an old thread, but as usual, I do have some input. Across the street from Orvis at Triangle Town Mall is Dick's Sporting Goods. You can easily kill a couple hours or more in there. Lots of fresh and salt gear, hunting (gun and archery), camping, and anything else you might be into. Two floors worth of "Stuff," with the fishing and hunting on the second floor. I've been to it at least three or four times, only 30 min from Nashville via 64 and 540.
I have been stopping at Neuse Sporting Shop for years on my way to the coast. Again, they have everything you could imagine, and a resturant to boot. It is a little pricey, but the people are knowledgable and the selection is very diverse. If, you go there frequently, like I do, you can get some real good deals at there sale time. Like this Jan I got some Deer Jam, clover seed, and some clothing for half price. Also, I picked up large Penn reel and a Tica rod for a good price. It's like anywhere else, you have to look around and find the deals.
The Real Outfitters at Emerald Isle is prety much all salt/w.
TW's Tackle at Kill Devil Hills if you are ever out that way. Further down is The Fishin' Hole in Rodanthe, Red Drum Tackle at Hatteras, and Frisco Gun and Tackle Shop.
Good Luck and watch out for the 'Tackle Monkey."

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey Slowriser - thanks for opening this back up.

While we're at it, a couple of us found the new Eastern Outfitters location in Topsail Angler's neighborhood (Hampstead, NC) - on 210 just west of 17. Nice new place, nice folks to us city boys. Didn't get to spend much time in there, just fondled some Gulp and picked up my coastal rec license. Eastern Outfitters website

As for the post that started this whole thing, I wound up taking the tackle monkey over to Gander Mtn for a fling. Came home with my 440ssg, a St Croix rod, a Gander Mtn brand rod ($29 IM7 - great deal!), a handful of (very hard to find) Silver Buddies, some inshore plastics, a crankbait or two, etc... Touched every fishfinder in the house, tried on some waders, but no keepers. Also got to swing by a couple of the Greensboro Kayak shops for some ogling!

As for highlighting the sponsors, I've put together a map where you can see locations for all of the NCangler Sponsors and Captains Club members. It doesn't have sponsor descriptions, but that would be an excellent addition... :cool: (and something else to do instead of work!)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Jeff you are very welcome. I have been to Topsail many times. Tex's Tackle is the hangout for lots of fishermen. I saw Eastern, but didn't get to stop there as I was trying to get to the morning run at the Jolly Roger Pier. Glad you got some good deals. and Thanks for the map, and your input. Maybe we can fish some day. I don't think I'd fit into your Kayak, but you might be able to get on my 14' little boat. Perfect for lakes, large ponds, rivers, and inland waters.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
AK McCallums is small but it is packed with a bunch of stuff. Great little place on ramsey street in Fayetteville.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe we can fish some day.
I'm up for it. Calendar is the hard part right now, especially weekends, but I seem to find a way to get on the water about once a week right now. Weekday mornings are generally best for me - try to get back for at least some of the workday. That's where I do my best work on NCangler :eek:...

I don't think I'd fit into your Kayak
Its definitely not a "bicycle built for two", if that's what you mean.

but you might be able to get on my 14' little boat. Perfect for lakes, large ponds, rivers, and inland waters.
That could work. Maybe we can find some water somewhere between raleigh & nashville. About the farthest that way direction I've fished is the Wake Forest water reservoir... Not much of a mileage concession on my part!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is an oldie, but opening back up for some freshening.

NCangler added a section on the Reviews page for tackle shops. I've uploaded a couple of the Falls Lake area shops (mostly for minnow buyers) and posted reviews. If you haven't looked through the reviews page in a while, take a look. Its been growing. Plenty of room for more products & tackle shops and needs some additional opinions on the products out there. (I value seeing different perspectives on products and places much more than single opinions).

Roscoe's in Wake forest closed earlier this year - family health problems. Scratch them off your list.

PS Slowriser - haven't forgotten the suggestion. We do still need to fish someday. My way, your way or toward the coast. Do you ever go north toward Kerr or Gaston? Not a very fair fight for little boats like ours, but its somewhere with a reasonable and equal drive in the region that I have wanted to try. Calendar is still the problem, especially this month, but I'm going to need to break away from the keyboard for a "mental health day" pretty soon...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
This is an oldie, but opening back up for some freshening.

NCangler added a section on the Reviews page for tackle shops. I've uploaded a couple of the Falls Lake area shops (mostly for minnow buyers) and posted reviews. If you haven't looked through the reviews page in a while, take a look. Its been growing. Plenty of room for more products & tackle shops and needs some additional opinions on the products out there. (I value seeing different perspectives on products and places much more than single opinions).

Roscoe's in Wake forest closed earlier this year - family health problems. Scratch them off your list.

PS Slowriser - haven't forgotten the suggestion. We do still need to fish someday. My way, your way or toward the coast. Do you ever go north toward Kerr or Gaston? Not a very fair fight for little boats like ours, but its somewhere with a reasonable and equal drive in the region that I have wanted to try. Calendar is still the problem, especially this month, but I'm going to need to break away from the keyboard for a "mental health day" pretty soon...
Those lil' boats would do well on the Beaverdam end of Falls.. Fishing is good and it is motor prohibited. You can launch right off the sand where the old roadbed runs along the water on Ghoston rd. I think its called. Just off Newlight rd. Hwy 98 takes you to Newlight just before Hwy 50. Just past the turn there is a decent tackle shop too on the left.

Reactions: Coach D
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.