NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there tactics to elicit a strike from bass that are bedding down? Are there any methods to get a reaction strike from the fish that are guarding the beds?

And this brings up another question for me: Should we try to catch the mamas that are trying th hatch their young. Would it be wiser to let them alone so they can hatch their fry and produce fish for us to catch later?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I believe the best ethic is to put em back after you take a few pics.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
skooteri-I think I see your point! That it may cause stress on the spawning female that effects her hatch. Or does it?

I think that most fisherman are more sucessful in getting a Bass to bite in the pre-spawn and are more likely to stress the fish at that time than when they are actually on the bed.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Backlash- seems to me if you catch one off the bed, there is no way she will go right back to it, much less the stress factor. Even with the most minimal handling, if you catch and release one, won't she go deep to get away? Find her way back after that?

·
Registered
424 Posts
when the spook off their bed throw a grape rubber worm on it. when they ome back jiggle it alittle it will makem hot and they'll hit it.

In the tourney's they go fo bedding bass and drop'em in the live well. So it must not hurt them too much.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
There's two thoughts that have stuck with me after seeing this argument played out over and over and over again:

1) It might well be that its not significantly bad for them to be taken off beds and immediately returned, but it cannot be beneficial (unless you want to argue that you're teaching the fish not to pick up what the next guy throws on the bed - of course that's what the last guy said...:p). I think if you add several hours of livewell storage (ie. during a tournament) you are going to increase at least the possibility of damage.

2) I can't find the actual population estimates for any NC lakes with a quick search, but with somewhere between hundreds up to maybe a thousand fish per acre of water on the average NC Lake, there's little likelihood that any of us, or even all of us in our "normal" fishing frequency can make a significant dent in the overall population - even if we were to keep more than we currently do. I'm pretty comfortable thinking that the folks at the DNR understand the reproductive capabilities of LMB and have adjusted the limits and seasons accordingly, and would make future adjustments as conditions require. In my opinion the risk comes when large numbers of fishermen (ie. major tournaments) target bedding fish, especially year after year on the same body of water. Not sure how often this happens, or if it even registers on the fish/acre equation. Just feels like bad form - I wouldn't want the vacuums from the BASS elite series sucking up all the bedding fish on my lake every april.

Personally I don't feel great about bed fishing and I don't target it explicitly, but I have done it a bit when I stumble across one. Usually turns into a couple hours of good entertainment for the fish, watching me get ticked off instead of the other way around...

Can't support any of this with facts, just one man's humble opinion!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well said Jeff, I'm not much of a Bass fisherman but when the trout are in spawn mode I try to target the species that's not spawning IE when browns are spawning I target rainbows etc. All I can say is it makes me feel better plus I never really liked having my bedroom door opened when I was working

·
Registered
8 Posts
You guys remember Orlando Wilson? I was watching his show one day and he did something that made a huge impression on me. He was fishing during peak spawn and made a point to indicate that he was fishing for male fish and was staying away from bedding areas. Without being said it was obvious why he was not fishing those areas. He's caught many fish and has no trouble catching fish anywhere so it is easy for him to do. I can't say that I will always do the same but I will do what I can. I'm sure there will be instances were it will be just too easy for me and my 11 year old but I do have similar ethics as he does.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.