NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided on this portion. I posted this in a welcome section in response to slowriser. I really think this would be a great idea.

If you go fishing this weekend take a bag for trash with you. We all pick up our own stuff but we all see those who go out and just have a blatant disregard for the area. Even if it's a foodlion type plastic bag take it with you and fill it up. If you take a trash bag with you fill it at least half way up. This might start something up in the area that you like to fish the most. We've been discussing pollutants and things of that nature and trash is a horrible thing.

So, who's with me?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing wrong with picking up around the dock and parking lot. This doesn't have to be limited to land locked guys. Everyone sees line sitting on shorelines and around the docks and things like that. This stuff is harmful to other animals in the ecosystem.

Reactions: gambusia and RouseD

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hey coach, Since I was a boy my dad and I would do this on our few fishing trips.Since then, I have turned my boys into fisher/gatherers.I too would encourage everyone topick up after the littering idiots

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good suggestions. I find myself out on Lake Norman turning around all the time to pick up someone's floating garbage, especially after a weekend. My net gets more use scooping trash than it does scooping fish...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Coach, thanks for not only looking out for the health of our great outdoors, but also for those of us who don't like to fish at the dump! I have a hard time understanding people who enjoy the outdoors and then throw their trash into it. I always show up early to meet my clients before a fishing trip and usually pick up a bag of trash from the area we are planning to fish. The sad thing is most of the trash is from fishermen, hook packs, lure packs, corn cans, worm cups and worst of all large wads of fishing line. These people that litter our stream banks, lakes and rivers all have one thing in common, they have no respect for themselves, but even more importantly they have no respect for God or his creation.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'll agree with you on picking up trash CoachD. Have you ever noticed the old sardine tins and old worm cups/boxes there are around fishing sites. I wonder if some fishermen get confused and eat the worms and fish with the sardines.:)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Backlash, sounds like a great idea my friend. After seeing me and my friend make sure we cleaned up our little area really well I saw some people who started walking away from their trash but turned around and picked it up. YES!! This is what I wanted by that. If everyone would just do this it would be okay. I wonder how hard it would be to maintain strategically placed large trash cans at Rhodes Pond or some other local place. Might help out some.

Gotta run. Going to Rhodes Pond this afternoon. Went yesterday and caught a few small crappie and a couple of blue gill. For 3 hours not bad. And man, those crappies were fat little suckers.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I think that we should pick a day for the club to meet for a little fishing and a hour so of picking up a little bit. I' ll bring my little boat along. It could hold a couple of folks.

The trash can is a good idea but I think that we have to check with the state about placing on there. However, I think that the little time that we spend cleaning up could have a positive impact on those who may be watching.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I completely agree with you on that. Maybe that can be part of the conversation at the meeting on the 24th.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a plan. Who do you think we'd have to talk to at the state about the trash cans? I'll email anyone we need to do so. We picked up two bags full of stuff and it hardly put a dent into the trash out there. Do the state folks ever come around there? Have never seen one.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I don't know. You would probably need to call the Raleigh office and tell them that you would like to donate a couple of cans. I'm sure that they will direct you to the right person. There's one question that I'm sure they will ask, Who is going to empty the cans and how often?.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I don't know about Rhodes, but I did speak to NCWildlife's guy for Lake Jordan, and was told that they did hire a trash contractor to police at least the Bells Church PFA a couple of times a week. So I know they do some amount of that work, I just don't know how much, where, and when. The NCWildlife office in Raleigh can get you in touch for the right folks for that particular body of water.

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I figured that (about who will empty them). Someone has to turn the spill way on and off so they have to have someone who comes out and does stuff around the pond. I've seen at other sites their are trash bins and things of that nature so I don't see how this would be to big of a problem. If I have to I'll go empty the things 2 times a month. Anyone else can join in with me if they have to.

Thanks for the info lefty. I know I see garbage companies go by there all the time. Someone would prolly pick it up. One of us who goes out there may have to put the bags by the side of the road but that is easily done. I'll call them sometime this week and post what I find out.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really think this is something that we as a group could greatly influence others. We have been really growing in membership lately and lots of folks look at this site. If everyone would agree to help out it would greatly reduce the waste we see around our natural resources. If you don't want to touch items with your hands that fine, get a broom handle and make a point at one end of it so that you can just skewer it. Also, they sell items to extend your reach which work great for picking up trash. I have one I use when I'm riding my lawnmower. It won't pick up big items but it will pick up paper and aluminum cans (I live on the side of a highway so I have lots of experience with folks just throwing stuff out). You could also "borrow" a pair of the wife's dish washing gloves they work great also.

Just a few ideas for everyone to think about. Thanks to all who have already joined up with this movement. It truly is worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I don't know about Rhodes, but I did speak to NCWildlife's guy for Lake Jordan, and was told that they did hire a trash contractor to police at least the Bells Church PFA a couple of times a week. So I know they do some amount of that work, I just don't know how much, where, and when. The NCWildlife office in Raleigh can get you in touch for the right folks for that particular body of water.
Is Bells Church a controlled access area? At Falls Lake they have trash & restrooms at the controlled launch on Hwy 50 (also at Sandling Beach and Beaverdam I think - both controlled access areas), but not at the 24hr unsupervised ramps at Upper Barton & Ledge Rock. Might be policy?? They must have to balance the cost of trash removal against the benefit. Upper Barton actually stays cleaner than you might imagine given the amount of traffic (not exactly clean, but cleaner). I guess not having a place to toss stuff causes most to take it home with them. There is usually some night fishing evidence left on the docs (beer & bait containers) and always some dead plastic worms in the parking lot where the boats button up before heading home. Not optimistic that a can up the hill would collect much of that, but it would make it easier for the conscientious to pitch in.

PS Coach - nice crusade! You've got a good one going here.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
There's no gate at Bells Church, it's available to the public 24x7 -- as are all of NCWildlife's Public Fishing Areas. Not all of them have docks, some, like the place we saw those guys scout at Weaver Creek, are just clearings at the edge of the water.

There's a trash can there, but lots of folks don't take the effort to carry their trash the 30 yards from the end of the dock all the way to the can. I was last out there in March a year ago, and there were propane cans all over the place, in addition to fishing and dining waste.

I have not noticed a trash can at Weaver Creek or the other PFA on Jordan.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just trying to do my part. If we don't take care of it, the next generation won't either. And then there won't be anything worth taking care of.

Reactions: Cameronswmp9
1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.