NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a graduate student at Duke University. Myself and a few others are part of a group project using surveys to explore saltwater recreational fishers' perceptions of Marine Protected Areas.

This is actually part of a course on social survey design methods at Duke, and so we are trying to understand the survey process.
Our survey is posted online and should only take a few minutes to complete. Your opinions are very important to us and we appreciate any/all responses!

URL:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=22802966094

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
This survey has not been created by NCangler.com. Your participation is totally voluntary in cooperation with the students that have registered on the site and submitted this request. Please feel free to discuss the concept and implementation of Marine Protected Areas as you understand them, in this forum.

A question for the Duke students that created the survey. How will the results of this survey be used and where will the information be presented and or disseminated?

For those interested in Marine Protected Areas, here is a link on the program that I found with a quick Internet search. NC Marine Protected Area

Here is another interesting article from the Florida Museum of Natural History on MPA's. "Marine Refuges Spawn Debate"
and "Deep-Water Fishing Ban is Divisive"

I will see if I can find some specific information from our NC Marine Fisheries Commission on MPA's and will post what I find.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I just checked with the NC Marine Fisheries Commission and discovered that...

The issue of proposed marine protected areas* actually comes from the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council.*
Their Web site is: http://www.safmc.net/
This issue has not come before the Marine Fisheries Commission for any type of vote or formal position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
I would just like to thank everyone for their responses. The response to our survey has been incredible. Since the survey is for a class, we have to limit the number of our sample size, and since we received so many responses yesterday, the survey has been closed as of this afternoon. The results of the survey will be presented in our class, but will not be used for any other purpose. This survey was meant to teach us how to gain experience with the social survey making/implementation/ analyzation process. Since our group is very interested in marine issues, we chose this particular topic.
Thank you again for your participation. If our results show any interesting correlations I will make sure to post them on this messageboard.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Thanks Grad student. I hope you'll keep involved with our fishing site and post often. My son is hoping to go to Duke. :) He has wanted to be a marine biologist since he was six years old. I think now though he has decided on pediatric surgery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts