NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new aquaintances in Goldsboro who I'm taking fishin'.
They are as new to fishin' as we are to each other. Dad - mid 30s, and his two sons - age 10 and early teen.

Fishin' time is this Saturday, May 3. We should hit the water around 5 p.m., and fish 'til 8 or so.

Will be boating - only electric motors on boat. Thirty minutes from Goldsboro is about as long a drive as is prudent. Am thinking of Tulls Mill, Maxwell Mill, Durham Lake, or a Wilson Lake - Buckhorn, Wiggins Mill, or Lake Wilson (actually about 40 min).
Right now, Tulls is at the top of my list.

I normally fish artificial lures and love to troll small crankbaits, and occasionally rooster tails and crappie jigs. I usually cast some from the front of the boat while trolling. Trouble is, when I troll on these area lakes/ponds, I catch enough fish to satisfy me (I'm usually alone) but I don't usually get the productivity to support three, especially new and young, fishermen.

Will appreciate any and all suggestions for place to launch, and style of fishing. Any species caught will satisfy. I'll surely speak with them about enjoying fishing for the sake of being out there. I certainly enjoy it that way. But just as surely, we'd like to make the best effort for catching fish.

Thanks,

RW

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can't go wrong pulling crappie and bream out of the shallows this time of year especially with some beginners. Nothing to get them excited like seeing the bobber go under. Heck last time I was out chasing carp my bread ball was way to big for the bream to get it (on purpose) but I still had fun watching the fish swim around with it. Gives them a confidence boost to know they found fish and they're hitting their bait even if they don't hook up every time. You can try your trolling approach while you look for a good spot and maybe get them on some better fish. If you're feeling really froggy go ahead and toss one of those bream out the opposite side of the boat and see if you can find a big ol cat waiting to pick it off. Nothing to get a boat full of new anglers grinning like a slimy catfish half as big as they are.

As far as where, a local will have to help you out with that.

I spent a ton of time on the water last year and over the winter and learned a few spots really well and I've been having a blast taking friends out in my spare yak and getting them on fish. Nothing like seeing someone who's been fishing from the bank their whole life hook into their first fish in a kayak. Honestly looking back on the times I've taken other people out and "guided" and I can't remember what I caught but I can tell you exactly what they caught, where, and on what. Good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of those 'Likes' are also Thank You's.

Luni, Your confidence and enthusiasm is infectious, and you write like you've been in the boat with me before. Good insight. You prompted the starting of the below mentioned file. I particularly like that additional 'live bait on the other side of the boat' idea.

CanoeCat, PM is coming. Haven't been to Cabin Lake, but have heard of it, and 'spect I can find it through Google. It's now on the list.

Brenardo, Great idea. I haven't done that myself though, and don't want to be a rookie leading rookies. I live far from Goldsboro and have only fished the above mentioned waters around there occasionally, but have never fished the Neuse - although I know where the launch ramps are around Goldsboro and Kinston. Also, am a little concerned about current with only electric motors.

All, assuming this goes well I'll be taking these folks out several more times through the season. I have started a file with all your ideas for reference so I can use them as subsequent trips manifest. I also have a gas powered boat I can put on the Neuse. Might do that as daylight increases. All trips will be in the late afternoon-evening like this one.

Anyone else with ideas - please keep 'em comin'.

NCAnglers are 20,000+ of my favorite people.

God Bless,
RW

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brenardo,
I just put you on my list.
That's an offer I can't refuse.
Will be in touch. Could be a couple of months though. Am swamped until after 1st week in June.
Thanks much,
RW

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
right now the stripers are starting to work their way up around goldsboro, heck, put em on one of those and they'll be hooked for life!:D still a few shad around too

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if bernando isnt able to get you out then let me know, i fish a diffrent stretch of river than he does but will still catch fish.
You're on the list now too. Thanks very much.
RW

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get the cane poles out, start 'em on the basics. Some worms or crickets and you're all set! Nice of ya to take them on their first excursion!
That's good reenforcement of one of my primary thoughts. Thanks jerry. No matter what else we might do, we'll have tackle for that on the boat.
You're nice to say so. Somebody took me fishin' one time. Just Payin'. (That's not a typo)

RW

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
right now the stripers are starting to work their way up around goldsboro, heck, put em on one of those and they'll be hooked for life!:D still a few shad around too
That's a good idea for next season. Not quite prepared for getting on the Neuse, or striper fishin', for this season. I put it in the file plan.

Thanks,
RW

Reactions: 2840-FISH

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure what "being the Black Sea" means. Good or bad? While I like going there, Durham Lake has always been just so-so for me.

RW

durham lake has been the black sea for me this year, a buddy has been tearing up tulls mill pond but if you want to put them on panfish, cabin lake is the place to go.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Lots of great ideas here. I think you're doing the right thing by choosing a lake or pond. Some trolling may be ok, if it is very slow trolling, with you doing the rigging. Even if you're sitting still trying to catch crappie, you'll probably stay busy attending to hang ups. I think the cane poles or bream busters would be best on the 1st trip out with them. That would give you a chance to see which, if any, would need more help than one of the others. Also, if you could take one at a time, that would be a big help, but may not be practical.
My BIL, who has Parkinson's, was a real challenge for me, even though he already knew how to fish.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts