1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired taking & posting fishing photos that look like this:

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Jigging

(BTW, 5lbs 2oz on a Rapala Skitterwalk)

Would love to see creative examples of alternate ways of taking fishing photos. Part of the issue will be equipment; I'm typically kayak fishing alone, and use an XShot camera extender with a cheap consumer digital camera. But the camera is a cheap Casio that supports a 3x self-timer, which greatly increases my odds of getting a self-timed shot (i.e., I have three tries each time).

One challenge I routinely face is that it takes me longer than I'd like already to "process" the fish, i.e., photograph & weigh them before release. I keep the fish in the water almost the entire time, so the fish are typically in great shape on release. But I often am anxious to take advantage of an active bite, so hate taking so much time before I can get my lure back in the water (yeah, perhaps a bit greedy, but catchin' fish is what it's about, no?!).

Thanks for examples and ideas -- whether photographs and/or hardware.

// joel

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Touché. But I like to do both. :D I relish photos of my fishing adventures as they facilitate pleasurable memories of the experience.

To take advantage of an active bite just fish and don't worry about weighing and taking pics.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In terms of artistic photos of caught fish that minimizes fish handling... I am not sure if there is much an alternative to what you already have done. It seems that a second person on hand would have infinitely more possibilities (but impossible when solo in a kayak).

As for the selfies, I wonder if you could use a gopro-style mount, or some sort of post or tripod style mount, and mount your camera in front of you in the kayak. This could be make and model specific, but they have push-button remotes (wired or wireless). You could pull that fish out of the water, and snap the shot with the other hand in much shorter time?

Also I seem to remember Neilslure mentioning he uses some sort of run of the mill camera mount on his bass boat? It may have been some sort of standard tripod, not sure.

Jay

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realize some prefer not to be distracted at all with cameras, phones or photos. That's fine, I'm just not one of those. But I'm also not interested in turning my yak (or boat) into a mobile video/photography studio.

I think some have started using, e.g., GoPros with wireless remotes to solve these kinda problems (e.g., get fish back in water quickly and get back to fishing). For those that use them, how does that work? Do you record continuously (not likely) then edit out sections? Or activate recording once you're hooked up (that sounds tricky)? Can you extract photo stills from the video with reasonable quality?

I've been tempted by one waterproof camera (a Fuji that Costco and BJs sell for ca. $200) that can be remotely triggered with a smart phone. But you'd still have to interact with the phone app, so that doesn't seem so great, but suspect you could get better quality photos.

//joel

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't own one but my impression is that people have those gopro's running as a video camera, and the software that comes with it allows them to pull out stills. I think the gopro's are neat for videos but the stills don't look very nice, in my opinion. There has to be a solution for still cameras! I wonder if you can try a mount first and see how well the 3 second delay works. If that works, no need for the remote, but if it turns out to be a mad rush, maybe a remote/camera pair is the way to go.

Alternatively I know that some pro photographers use the HD video function on the newer dSLRs and then fish out their stills from that. But I wouldn't want to be using an expensive dSLR on a kayak!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think the key would be to have a permanently mounted camera facing you that way you'd have both hands free to pose your catch different ways. In my mind, if you had a waterproof digital you could rig up a swing away mount. Pull it toward you to set timer, swing away to capture photos and keep it out of you way fishing.

BTW, photo #4 in your second set is exceptional. Love the focus and color.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I do most of my own fishing photos, I use a digital camera with a timer and set it up on the front seat. In a boat, I got alot more room and the luxury of a livewell. I usually give my fish a few minutes in the livewell to settle down, then I can take my time setting up the camera and positioning the boat to get a suitable shot of the fish.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm trying to avoid converting my yak into a mobile studio, but a swinging arm makes a lot of sense. Will start looking around and post examples. Think Scotty makes a camera mount that you can also mount on an extension arm -- not sure if it would swing the way I'd want it to (swing it in to access camera, swing back out the take photo). Thanks for the idea. // joel

I think the key would be to have a permanently mounted camera facing you that way you'd have both hands free to pose your catch different ways. In my mind, if you had a waterproof digital you could rig up a swing away mount. Pull it toward you to set timer, swing away to capture photos and keep it out of you way fishing.

BTW, photo #4 in your second set is exceptional. Love the focus and color.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i may just have to bite the bullet and get a GoPro -- everything seems to be moving/pointing in that direction. A wrist activated remote sounds great. thanks // joel

GoPro's have a still camera setting and can do it in HiDef. You can use your cellphone or GoPro makes a wrist activated remote. I have not used the still function myself, but it is available.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I know you're right. I do a quite a bit of non-fishing photography, and work hard to find new angles and perspectives, and novel ways of composing or framing a shot. But being stuck in a yak with a selfie stick, I've just gotten in a rut of taking the same shot over and over. Partly constrained by the physical space and setting, I'm just looking for more interesting ways of capturing the experience. One basic approach might be to ensure I have my camera more accessible so that I'm more likely to take interesting shots as they present themselves rather than (or in addition to!) the obvious selfies. Thanks for the reminder. // Joel

With photography you got to just mix it up, let the environment/ moment set the shot. I love them Rapala Skitterwalk's, i fished one for three days in Florida once, had so many cool blow-ups on that bait!

·
Registered
601 Posts
i may just have to bite the bullet and get a GoPro -- everything seems to be moving/pointing in that direction. A wrist activated remote sounds great. thanks // joel
I've done some research as well because I enjoy fishing as much as enjoy and photographing the nature and fish. I think I'll end up going with the gopro 3+ with a wrist remote too.

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Enjoy fishing? Enjoy photography? Great! Do both as you please and get double the fun. Nothing wrong with that imo. Kinda like enjoying the exercise of paddling a kayak and fishing. Whatever (within reason-wink) floats your boat.
To my eyes the second set of photos was a winner. I am not a fan of "selfies" and I've never taken one but hey, that's just me. Do what brings you satisfaction. Not everything has to boil down to hooks, bait, rods, reels etc.

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.