NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I think a good place to start would be a fishing pier. You have better water access than the surf, access to bathrooms, snacks and the flexibility to move about to deeper water if needed and plenty of examples of what to do all around you. Standard 2 hook bottom rigs and fresh shrimp, cut mullet,sand fleas all work well and usually are available at the pierhouse of most piers as well as rental rods if needed.

Reactions: mountainfisherman

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I recommend if they're used to Bassin' you buy some Diamond jigs or Gotcha plugs and chunk those around retrieving with quick jerks. The blues have been everywhere and they are a good fight and voracious, you also catch Spanish that way and they are YUMMY to eat filleted and baked. Also, cut bait on bottom rigs are a fav for Blues, flounder..

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome mountainfisherman, I lived on OIB for 15 years, if you have acess to the west end of the beach Tubbs inlet is a great place to fish from the sandbar. I've caught hundreds of flounder, spottails and trout in the mouth of the eastern channel that runs just behind the island.

Work brought me back to the mountains but I miss OIB every once in a while!;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds good. I have noticed lots of people in that area fishing. A lot of them anchor their boat there and then get out and walk along the edge. My wife has told me lots of times to anchor there and let her out. Just never have. Where are you in the mountains?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just got back from OIB. The menhadden are thick just behind the breakers. HUGE schools. I used my kayak and caught about 6 blues fishing a school right along the pier. I used a freshwater suspending Rapala X-rap w/ the front hook replaced w/ a saltwater treble. Seemed to do fine. I would try the pier if you don't have a boat. Use a gotcha plug or a minnow like a Rapala. Worked for me. Someone caught a king off the pier Fri I think it was. Good luck.

·
Registered
330 Posts
That sounds good. I have noticed lots of people in that area fishing. A lot of them anchor their boat there and then get out and walk along the edge. My wife has told me lots of times to anchor there and let her out. Just never have. Where are you in the mountains?
mountainfisherman, I'm just outside Robbinsville,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.