NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday, 9Dec07 and finally the sea conditions gave us a (very fine) day to take the Skiff a few miles offshore. It was a chilly 51 degrees when we took a rather late (0730) start out of the Visitor’s Center boat ramp in MHC, headed to some favorite bottom structure some 15-16 miles out. By 1000, we were both shedding layers of clothes on this calm, warm, and sunny day.

Using primarily squid strips for bait, the bite was steady, if not impressive. The current was light – actually too light for my liking - and I started to think we may have to find another spot. Patience, and a few changes to our offerings, improved our luck as I hauled in our first nice bass mid-morning. By 1100, we had put 5 nice bass in the livewell – slow by past experience but we were satisfied to have some nice fish to take home.

Just before breaking for lunch, as I was winding in my rig, I heard a voice to my right struggling to get out “I think I’ve got the bottom – oh no, IT’S A FISH – I’m gonna need some help. Welllllllllllll, that’s what I’m here for, I said with a big grin. A quick observation at her tugging, bent, Penn Special Senator 4/0 rod confirmed to me that if it were BSB, it must be a pair of knotty heads. Steady now, don’t give it any slack, be careful – don’t pull the hook, easy now, holey cow, you’ve got a FLOUNDER, and a nice one at that. Did I tell you that my wife is a die-hard flounder fisherman? She’d rather fish for flounder than anything that swims the ocean and here I take her out to sea to catch BSB and she still manages to catch a flounder and - the biggest fish of the day

Dave

We kept 5 this size but only took a pic of these two. Sorry for the washed out image. The original was backlighted so I used PhotoShop to lighten it up enough to see the fish better.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Good stuff!!!!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I now what you mean about the surprise flounder - we got several last week while grouper fishing. Great looking pictures!
Dont know if the same guys still do it, but certain times of the season, there's this one boat of guys that always flattie fished around AR-376. I've run into them many a time out that way. They didnt have a name on the boat, but it was an older Mako ('bout 21 ft or so), older guys.

Flounder double hook rigs with surf sinkers slow drifting...

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Dont know if the same guys still do it, but certain times of the season, there's this one boat of guys that always flattie fished around AR-376. I've run into them many a time out that way. They didnt have a name on the boat, but it was an older Mako ('bout 21 ft or so), older guys.

Flounder double hook rigs with surf sinkers slow drifting...
Not sure about those guys but there is another spot or two that is regularly fished for flounder in Dec/Jan. In fact there will likely be a certain Maycraft there this Saturday if you are interested in going, Dave.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.