NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good tandem kayak for my wife and I. We will be fishing freshwater, and I am looking for a good setup for no more than around 1500 with basic accesories. Her main concern is stability. I know we want a sit in. Other than that I am kinda lost in looking at them. We would be beginers, together I think we may have 14 hours paddeling. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Jeremy
Find a local shop and arrange for some test drives. Some places will let you paddle "on-demand", others have pre-scheduled demo events... some even charge a little bit for test drives, and apply that as a deposit for when you buy.

Some city and county parks also have boats available for rent... Crabtree Lake charged $7 for an hour, last time I looked; don't recall whether they've got any tandems or not.

Most recreational-class boats (as opposed to whitewater boats or touring boats) have plenty of stability, although it comes it two varieties; Jeffo did a great job explaining the difference in his blog a few weeks ago. Depending on how set your mind is on a kayak, you could also consider a canoe or a hybrid boat... The Heritage Ultimate 16 is a tandem, the 14 can go both ways, and it gets great marks for stability.

Does your wife fish with you, or are you interested more in just paddling? A lot of folks speak of having a strong preference for two boats, instead of sharing one, when fishing... Apparently opinions often vary over just how fishy a particular spot looks, versus moving on to find another...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Aha, I knew I'd paddled with somebody who had a tandem...
If "hisheirs" doesn't answer this thread, drop him a PM...

·
Registered
597 Posts
For two adults the Native Watercraft Ultimate 16 is a great, stable boat, much more than any canoe, with ample room to stretch out. The seats are the most comfortable you'll find. Base price is 1,179.00. The 14.5 is good for an adult and youth but starts to run a bit shallow with two adults.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ah, the "divorce maker". There have been many threads on paddling forums over the years about tandems. And in a large percentage of those, most who had bought tandem kayaks finally agreed that two solo kayaks were better than a tandem. Mainly because if one of the two who are going to share the tandem decides they dont want to go, the other is kind of stuck.

The Native boats as mentioned if you are going with a tandem are nice boats. And as a canoe owner, I think I would prefer that native over another canoe.

Another option is the Pamlico from Wilderness. On the past versions, you could actually remove the back seat and slide the front seat far enough back to make it comfortable to paddle solo. So if the other person didn't want to go, then you arent stuck not being able to get out.

Good luck on your search.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
The Wildernesss Pamlico 145 tandem was the first kayak of any kind that I ever paddled. Before that I was convinced that I'd be getting a canoe, but was so completely surprised by the comfort and stability that I switched plans and went the kayak route. I've landed in individual SOTs but I understand the attraction.

Ogrefish has the Hurricane Santee 140t - tandem sit-inside. Lower weight plastic, seat slides to the center. Here's his post with a pic: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f106/new-yak-5697.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the responses guys. Divorce maker" Ha ha, I think if my wife and I can survive a few deployments to Iraq a kayak will be ok. She likes to fish, but she is more of a worm and bobber type. I think she would just paddle along and read while I fish. Just a way to spend some time together, while we both can do something we enjoy. Last year a guy named Rodney let us paddle his tandem at Buckhorn dam and she fell in love with it. She actually wanted to paddle while I fished, so I can't complain too much. Straps, thanks for the link I had been looking on craigslist, but must have missed that one. Once again thanks for all of the advice.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jeremyt, I have a friend in Southport that rents and sells kayaks.Her business is called " the adventure company" It`s on howe street in southport She could probably answer any questions you may have.......mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi jeremyt, we're a couple who own a Native Watercraft 14.5 and love it. It paddles great as a single and you can't beat the comfortable seating options. We've overloaded it constantly and do all kinds of fishing from it and it's quite stable. We are in Greensboro and bought our boat at Get Outdoors on Lee Street. They've been wonderful and instructive. Here's the link to the store: Get:Outdoors Kayak and Canoe Sales and Repair Greensboro, NC

·
Registered
369 Posts
Jeremyt, not sure if you have looked at the Hobies. I have a Hobie Outfitter Fish (tandem pedal/paddle kayak). After the new procurement of an OK Prowler, I am looking to sell this. No push, just a possibility. I have attached a picture I took of it late last year while in Key West. Either way, happy yak-a-noe hunting.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello- This is my first post, however I or "we" own an Old Towne "Dirigio". It is a wonder ful boat and is plenty stable and very apt to haul a load. I paddle often with my 5 year old and would not change the boat a bit, other than reduce the weight a touch.

Patrick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.