NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the water about 1pm from Masons landing. Went to the Bear Creek split marked lots of bait. Chunked a spoon while live lining large minnows in 25 ft of water with a 1/8 split shot so they could swim around a bit. Missed one, probably a Gar. Move just past the split in 28ft water drop from 14ft with same setup. Caught 3 stripers 1-17 1-16 1-20 all on minnows. Caught one 20" Bowfin on Johnson spoon, missed one hard hit.
marked alot of bait, saw alot of "stuff" on the finder but wind made it hard to stay put even with 2 anchors and didnt get anything else. No Crappie, no Shad not for lack of trying! Water temp 60.5 - 62 degrees all day.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey there Sundrop! The shad have been all the way up here to Rocky Mount and Roanoke Rapids. They have already gone past your neck of the water. Not sure, but we are just now getting reports of Rock. They usually follow the shad, don't they? I'd rather catch the Rock though. I caught some last year on the Roanoke on a 9ft fly rod and #1 clouser, white and Chartruese. Good report and I really enjoy your input on this site. You have a great deal of good information and knowledge. I appreciate it very much. This dag-gone wind won't stop. I guess soon enough I'll be wishing for a breeze. CU

·
Registered
493 Posts
That's right Mike. I've been talking to folks that have been down to fish and they have heard the same thing. You pick a date and time and I'll see what I can do about getting there. That is, if you want a friend to go along. Let me know. I was at a local bait shop this am and they were talking about all the specks that they were catching around the mouth of the Pamilco, Pungo, and other spots around the Pamilco. Mirrolures seem to be the bait of choice. However, like one old timer said, if you can find them they'll hit just about anything you offer. Caught some shad last Saturday with a friend in the Roanoke down about the 258 bridge and east towards Williamston. Nice to talk at you.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
drop
about those striper is that in inches or pounds??

sounds like the lil guy is figuring it out.it REALLY does take alot of time..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drop
about those striper is that in inches or pounds??

sounds like the lil guy is figuring it out.it REALLY does take alot of time..

zooker
Inches Bro, we dont get the big ones around here...:(

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey there Sundrop! The shad have been all the way up here to Rocky Mount and Roanoke Rapids. They have already gone past your neck of the water. Not sure, but we are just now getting reports of Rock. They usually follow the shad, don't they? I'd rather catch the Rock though. I caught some last year on the Roanoke on a 9ft fly rod and #1 clouser, white and Chartruese. Good report and I really enjoy your input on this site. You have a great deal of good information and knowledge. I appreciate it very much. This dag-gone wind won't stop. I guess soon enough I'll be wishing for a breeze. CU
Slowriser, with the water level in the tar the way it is, can you launch a boat from the ramp that is in the park in Rocky Mount?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I know that the drought affected everyone, but I need to tell you that The Tar River Reservoir is full and the drought restrictions have been mostly lifted. The water travel rather swiftly from upstream near Louisburg to RKY MT. A few docks are now under water, go figure. I haven't ever put in there, but I certainly saw a bunch of trucks and boat trailers in the parking lot down on the Battle Park access. Exit Preachtree Rd and go straight across to the access road. Ramp is at the far end of the parking lot. I saw alot of vehicles on the side of the road on HWY 97, probably after the shad. Good Luck, hope this helps.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Slo, the water is fine and flowing around Washington as well... Alot of floating debris so be wary down my way!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.