NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the water late today.. 12:30 pm. Found out when I got to the ramps that there were 2 bass tourneys going on today and the place was slammed at both the city ramp and Clarks Neck. Had to wait a little while for a parking place to open up.
Got on the water @1. Decided to go up the Tar river and hide near one of the cuts to see if I could avoid the traffic. Floated bass minnows around some debris in 15ft water fishing 5 ft deep... Caught a nice 15" Hybrid striped bass.(didnt get that pic. Lisa remembered we had the camera as I slipped it overboard) Also floating nightcrawlers on the ridge in 6-8ft water at 3.5 ft. Started slamming nice big bluegills about every 15 minutes. Then the boat traffic really picked up since both tourneys had a 3pm weigh in so we moved a little farther up to Bear Creek past the slit to Grimesland. Lisa caught a nice flathead about 5lbs and 3 bream fishing the waterplants with wigglers. Nothing would touch a beetle spin in any color or a rooster tail so we stuck to live bait the rest of the day. I caught a nice Largemouth about 4:30 and boated 7 more nice sized bluegills, and one I call a shellcracker I'm not sure if thats right, Lisa's dad called it a redfin, it is in one pic so ID it if you can please. Also hooked and released 2 Gars. Some of the bluegill were the biggest I've seen in years.(gotta get better with pic taking)
We snapped a throttle cable at the ramp and almost decided to go back home until I cut the cable shielding and clamped on some pliers...LOL Only had 1/3 throttle but it made for a pleasant sight seeing ride and didn't ruin our day! Came in at 8:15pm.
New seats and layout work great in the boat. My new/used depth finder from Ebay works great!!! I gave this batch of fish to my father in-law since he brings me Hyde co. shrimp and Mattamuskeet onions for free all the time!!!
This is the first good trip I've had in the Tar/Pamlico since I moved here over 2 yrs ago so my faith is restored!!!
Several Kayakers on the water fishing as well...
I'm surprised to do as well with so much traffic on the water......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Great report and looks like a great day on the water! Man I am jones'n to get up that Tar River.

The long fish with the verticle stripes is a **** perch (racoon). I believe some folks do call them Redfins but we always called them **** perch. There is a good article about them in the June NC Sportsman. I was going to post the link but it wouldn't let me view the whole story. The name of the article is "Jerking Perch".

Mark

Reactions: sundrop

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
...one I call a shellcracker I'm not sure if thats right, Lisa's dad called it a redfin, it is in one pic so ID it if you can please.
The "**** perch" Looks an awful lot like what we called yellow perch back in Ohio. I've caught one or two in Jordan and Falls - they seem a little more elongated down here, but I've only caught teeny ones.. Are they the same thing?

This is the first good trip I've had in the Tar/Pamlico since I moved here over 2 yrs ago so my faith is restored!!!
Several Kayakers on the water fishing as well...
I'm surprised to do as well with so much traffic on the water......
Gotta be that HAT!

Is that the project boat you were talking about in the last couple weeks? If so, hooray for her for getting wet (even if she did need a little ramp-side TLC).

Good work & thanks for the pix!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, that's my project... I used it late last fall some but it needed all of the seating and electrics reworked. Solid floor and runs great. Now I have more room. I've still got to do some finish work on the bow seats. This winter I'm going to repair a few stress cracks in the gel-coat and marks on the hull and give her some fresh paint and her new name.. "Serenity" still just under $1800 total invested!

I saw some pics of yellow perch and they look about the same to me too.. Colors seem more vibrant on the southern fish. May be the warm tanic waters..

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about some pix of the reworked interior on the boat - let's see what you did!
I'll take some more pics this week as my need for fishing outweighed my desire to finish the project..LOL But I did get the main seating and battery relocation finished !:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.