NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just have a couple of questions about the tar/pamlico...I've been reading up on the river, I know that its the tar until it hits the bridge in washington where it becomes the pamlico....my questions are when/where on the river does the brackish actaully subside? How far up the river can you catch red fish/drums? and also how far up the river do stripers go? Just wondering if it will be possible to catch these species of fish in the grimesland area off scene beach or is that too far up the river/too fresh of water. Next on the list to catch out here is the puppy drum!!! Now I just need to find em!! Z

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Zman, that will vary according to wind and how much freshwater is coming down the river. Tide also has some bearing although it is minimal in that location. The saltwater is heavier than the freshwater. You can have a layer of freshwater riding out over a layer of saltwater, so the taste test does no good. Sundrop probably had better weigh in on the Seine Beach question. I'm thinking it wouldn't be the place to target them on a regular basis but I'm not familiar with that area. I've read that the Washington Bridge is where the freshwater fishing normally starts but I don't know how reliable that would be.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sinker is right to a point. The Washington area pretty much marks the boundary for salt species but you'll hear of a small Red or Flounder taken all the way up to Greenville when conditions are favorable.. With the dry weather there has been little freshwater flow so the area is saltier than usual right now but if we get significant rainfall or a good wind "downriver" for a few days it all changes. Stripers are tolerant and can be caught upriver... Reds tend to be found below the bridge with size getting better as you approach Dinah's Landing..
This constant change in habitat is why I have been doing more fishing in Belhaven on the Pungo River branch because it seems more 'salt stable"
Chocowinity Bay has always been a good Striper area and I have caught a few 16-18" Reds there as well but I haven't fished this area with enough frequency to know alot since I've only had a boat about a year and I don't live on the water... I know as you go downriver it gets better and better but with the fuel usage of my old Evinrude I am limited so I have to tow farther away and that gets expensive as well for me..
For the Tar river, the area around Seine beach is some of the deepest in the river @ 16-24 ft so I would think it will become very productive for Stripers soon with the water still being warm, but the bait is active in the deeper waters now..
Keep in mind the Tar/Pamlico has a usual maximum depth of about 10ft at best and most is 4-6 ft so it doesnt take much to really effect the fish... I've had a hard time, but I am learning alot all at once with being new to boating, new to salt, and having limited opportunities to spend time fishing... I seldom even bother to try on the weekends. There is so much traffic here that you can't escape the constant disturbance...
I know they're catching Stripers at both bridges in Washington and the crabbing has been great at Haven's Garden, so that tells me the salt is up and the water is cooling...slowly. be careful around here below the bridge because the crab pots are EVERYWHERE!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like I'll be headed to scene beach for the time being for stripers. Not having a boat kinda limits me from catching redfish it's lookin like. Do the stripers hit traditional LM bass artificials like spinnerbaits and worms/sinkos, or are they more into hittin baits like the shrimp and stuff? I'll be content catching stripers ALL DAY LONG. Gettin a lil rain right now is helping perhaps to cool the water down. Thanks guys. Z

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sundrop, whether you know it or not you've really impressed me with how well you have gotten a grasp of what affects fishing and how it figures in. I've been taking notice of that and how well you can explain it to others. Pretty soon someone else is gonna take notice and ask you to do a column or something. :cool: Good stuff!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Thanks guys! I appreciate the Kudos..:D I just try to think like a fish :)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
TA: No, I knew that and that was part of what I was taking into consideration. I was thinking along the lines of a weekly column in a local paper as the next step. That and maybe a few boats to maintain would mesh together nicely don't you think? Go out and check out the local fishing scene while getting paid to do it. Throw in an article now and then on boat maintenance.... take a course about boating safety and write an article on that. I could see all of that taking place in the not too distant future. I've got a feeling that he already has a couple of other gigs that would mesh nicely. I think you two should mull that over sometime soon if you haven't already.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I think you two should mull that over sometime soon if you haven't already.
Here's my progress report:

Write a weekly column in a local paper - DONE (ongoing)
Maintain a few boats - DONE (ongoing)
Check out the local fishing scene while getting paid to do it - DONE (ongoing)
Write article on boat maintenance - DONE
Take a boating safety course - Done
Write article on boating safety course - haven't done that.

Sounds like a pretty good blueprint you have there Sinkerman. Enjoyable anyway!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Here's my progress report:

Write a weekly column in a local paper - DONE (ongoing)
Maintain a few boats - DONE (ongoing)
Check out the local fishing scene while getting paid to do it - DONE (ongoing)
Write article on boat maintenance - DONE
Take a boating safety course - Done
Write article on boating safety course - haven't done that.

Sounds like a pretty good blueprint you have there Sinkerman. Enjoyable anyway!
YEP.. TA= My Hero...LOL! I like the idea of writing locally. There is a new newspaper published in the area now and I think I'll check them out and see if they might be interested in something...

Reactions: Topsail Angler
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.