NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to head down to washington NC tomorrow to fish for some stripers. Found a launch area on the tar river just upstream from the mouth. Was just wondering if those were kayak friendly waters? Looks to be kinda narrow on the map. Any advice helps. Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Michael, that area is definitely kayak friendly. Not sure what launch you mean; there is a boat ramp on Tranters Creek just upriver from Washington; from there you can paddle right down to the Tar (about half a mile or so). I've heard there is good fishing at the mouth of Bear Creek and other little creeks and covers there, but others on this board can tell you better about that.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Plenty friendly, Pesky used to fish those areas a lot in a yak. Just make sure you can be seen, and don't be in the middle of the channel in the turns so some yahoo doesn't run over you. Masons Landing is the launch on Clarks Neck RD. That puts you in Tranters creek with the main river to your left.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plenty friendly, Pesky used to fish those areas a lot in a yak. Just make sure you can be seen, and don't be in the middle of the channel in the turns so some yahoo doesn't run over you. Masons Landing is the launch on Clarks Neck RD. That puts you in Tranters creek with the main river to your left.
Yep, thats where I'm putting in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yahoo? Oh, you mean us bass boat guys! ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put in at the same spot on 3/21 in my kayak and paddled to the 17 bridge. I landed a nice striper (pictured) as I was paddling back under the bridge to leave! One more cast gets 'em! good luck my friend and post some pics

Hood Umbrella Fish Marlin Fisherman

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
NO... lol not just bass boat guys... plenty of motored yahoos of all sizes out there not paying attention at any given time. You don't have to be able to run 70mph to be dangerous to the plastic armada.

Yahoo? Oh, you mean us bass boat guys! ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No luck for me :mad: Was out there about 6 hours. Did fish the 17 bridge for a while. Then went over to bear island, nice area. Saw ALOT to fish hitting the surface, look like gar. Saw some "other" fish there, but no takers. Little before 6:00 I saw some really nasty storm clouds moving in, so I was off to the races to get back to the ramp. About 5-10 before getting to the ramp the bottom falls out! Thanks god no thunder/lighting. Ended up getting soaked and skunked. SOOO much water out there, hard to know where to go/start. Plus its tough sitting in the kayak for more than 2-3 hours without getting off my but. I did get out around 3:00pm at one of the islands for a while to stretch. Gotta get a boat!!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
We were just throwing "Yee-Haw" lures - basically paddle tails, but they are REALLY effective baits. Love the plastic they use! Guy up in Salem makes 'em and he's about as good a guy as you'll find. The gar that my son caught had obviously grabbed it and then gator rolled, the line was wrapped around and tangled in his teeth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.