NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to harris last Friday night crappie fishing. We only got 19. But I was amazed at the white perch we were seeing. They would chase the baits to the top 5-8 at a time. Most were about 6". We went through 3 dozen minnows quickly.
Does anyone have advice how to target perch? Especially the larger ones. I love grocery fishing. ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
small white or chartreuse curly tail grubs on a jighead. Beetle spins, and such.

Reactions: jerry condrey

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I run into the big ones now and then. I took home 8 for dinner and a nice crappie on Friday.

They seem to be around together allot. Usually a few crappie slipping in with them.

I do allot with crappie jugs with various grubs, beetle spins, UL rattle traps. Just need to get down to them. And to keep the bait down.

I am going to try a double jig setup next time out. Heavier jig on the bottom.

mike

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured I'd try a smaller version of a catfish drift rig around creek channels and a sabiki rig with a jigging spoon. Seen some youtube videos from lake Norman. They were killing them using these tactics.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow.mikeski, was that at harris? What where they biting? Perch are new to me, but they seem to bite comparable to spot fishing in the sound. I read several times, double drop bottom rigs with shrimp and redworm

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Sabiki rigs work great on Lake Norman.... Find a school, drop the rig, reel in 5-6 fish, throw the small ones back.... repeat until you lose the school

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Wow.mikeski, was that at harris? What where they biting? Perch are new to me, but they seem to bite comparable to spot fishing in the sound. I read several times, double drop bottom rigs with shrimp and redworm
Beetle Spins, grubs and UL rattle traps.

I did not know they were down here. Last time I was able to fish regularly was 10 years ago. We catch them up in Maine when there on vacation. They are happy with anything over say 8" Here they grow much bigger. I don't keep the little ones. But I might try a little one hooked as live bait for something bigger ;-)

mike

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Flat heads will eat them, but they prefer regular bream... The perch are a little spiky I think

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
When you get into a school of them try letting your lure sink before starting the retrieve. Bigger fish tend to hang beneath the carnage and grab the scraps that drift down. When the action is good you will often hook up before it can sink far though. Good problem to have. Grubs with blades seem to work better than plain ones.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
NO white perch makes it back to the water when I catch it. Unless it is used for bait...

Reactions: brhunt

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Caught this White perch at Jordan...at first I though it was a cross of a white perch and white bass(it can happen) but it was confirmed by a biologist as a perch...2 plus lbs.....you can see 14 inches in the photo but the perch was over 17 inches.....in the picture the end of the ruler is ahead of the mouth

Fishing net Fisherman Fish Fishing Tail

·
Registered
119 Posts
Best bait I have found for catching consistently big perch is fresh threadfin 1.5 - 2" in size. Hook them right thought the eye. Two hook rig with 1/2oz sinker to get it down fast. I fish for perch almost every week to use for catfish bait on Tillery. Many trips I catch 10 or more big perch 3/4lb or better. My daughters have the most fun catching them.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think if you are getting perch and want crappie, move to a new location, otherwise you'll just sit there and catch that school of perch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.