NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys catch grass carp. I've thrown bread right in front of them to no avail. Right now they are eatin algae off the rocks. I've even tossed grass at them. They just get spooked. I'm goin tomorrow and was thinkin about gettin some corn to bait an area and throw out into the corn. Any tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Light line and small hooks. Or, Take a loaf of fresh bread and blend it until it's fine like sawdust. Take a handful and place your hook in the middle and squeeze your hand together tight. Throw it out and wait for it to break up and a fish to suck it down.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Throw bread out until they start eating

#2 gold J hook, 6-10 pound line, spinning gear. Fold a piece of bread in half around the hook and flatten it. Cast it out and it should float. Even if you see the fish take it, don't set the hook until your line starts moving out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My advice would be to get into fly fishing... Tie up some moss flies and start sight fishing for them. I started fly fishing about 2 years ago... I haven't picked up conventional tackle since then.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
You say you have thrown bread right in front of them... did you cast right on top of them and spook them? Cast well past the fish and slowly reel it into the fishes path. I always just used a hook about 2 ft under a float, I have caught them on bread and caught them on grass.

The pond I grew up fishing belongs to a HOA and had a walking path around it. When the landscapers would mow, the carp would chow down on grass clippings. I caught numerous 5-20 lbers on grass clippings back then.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried casting away from them and slowly reeling it back to them and nothing. I tried corn today with no luck. They might be really focused on algae now. They get spooked easily. I'll try bread. I've had a couple seem interested in it before. The only problem is the bream would tear it apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts