NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know that I'll get out anytime soon but I've been wanting to hit a spot in my kayak for tautog. I know that bait will be a problem. How would salted clam strip be?
Thanks

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure shrimp would work and may likely be the best option. I was hoping for something a little less susceptible to thieves. I believe the pinfish don't leave this area but I can't say for sure.
Fiddlers are impossible to find in these Temps and any other crab will have to be bought from a fish store=high dollar if there are pinfish around.
Thanks for the ideas.
I would guess the salted clam strip are a bad option?
I wonder why these fish are not targeted more? You can keep plenty, they are generally considered a great eating fish and they fight hard. Learn how to hook them is also a lot of fun and once the technique is learned you can bring along a friend and watch them Jerk their rod up and down all day as you reel in fish. That's always a lot of fun IMO. At some point they either catch on or I'll explain how to ignore the first Tug or two and wait for the real bite.

·
Registered
321 Posts
They are not targeted more because they are colder season residents and fewer anglers around to try.I think that the pinfish don't bother you in the water temps that attract tautogs.Since you have a kayak you can slip over to an oyster bar and turn over a few shells.Even in winter I used to find small crabs hiding under and around the shells.I even found some snapping shrimp a few times.They also like mussels and barnacles.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are not targeted more because they are colder season residents and fewer anglers around to try.I think that the pinfish don't bother you in the water temps that attract tautogs.Since you have a kayak you can slip over to an oyster bar and turn over a few shells.Even in winter I used to find small crabs hiding under and around the shells.I even found some snapping shrimp a few times.They also like mussels and barnacles.
Thanks but no turning over oyster shells for this guy.
I turned over my last oyster shell many months ago.
That's a nasty and perilous road to travel and I was lucky to make it out alive
Thanks anyway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.