NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Free public ramp into Taylor's Creek in Beaufort. Located on the curve at the east end of Front St. From 70 in Beaufort take Lennoxville Rd east to Front St (look for the tennis courts on Front St - tall chain link fence, turn right on Front immediately after the courts). Very poorly marked, if at all. Gravel lot, some shaded parking, restrooms, 2 Concrete ramps with docks.

Looks to hold full sized boats, but not sure how far into the water the concrete goes. I saw 20'ers the day I was there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Few details to add. The chain link fence around the tennis court is (presently) nearly obscured from view by bushes next to the fence, so it is easy to miss - it'll be on the right side of the road. You can go into the ramp site on the road either before or after the tennis courts - the access road to the ramp makes a "U" around the tennis courts.

If you have a "T" top or other tall gear on your boat, watch out for the low (and very durable) hanging branches on the live oak trees near this ramp - don't ask me how I know this :mad: Also, be very careful when driving or backing across the blacktop road that is directly in front of these ramps - this is a fairly well used roadway and not every vehicle in this area is there to ramp a boat

This ramp can handle 4 boats at a time but still, it gets very busy on the weekends. Lot will hold 30 or so vehicles and often the overflow is parked out along the road. The ramp is long but shallow and may require a long back into the water when launching, depending on the tide. If there is a "drop off" on these ramps, I have yet to find it and I've been waaaaay back in the water. This ramp can handle just about any length boat that is trailerable - certainly 25 feet (or more) for skiffs, runabouts and CC type boats.

If you navigate toward Beaufort (parallel the road and back toward the direction you drove in on) you will travel a long way in a "no wake" zone, taking you 20 or more minutes to reach the waterway nearing Radio Island/Beaufort Inlet. Nevertheless, it's the safest route until you learn the waterway in this area. Take it slow and enjoy the ride and scenery, the Coast Guard (USCG Station close by) patrols this area often.

Navigate Taylor's creek in the other direction if you know the roundabout way to the Beaufort Inlet area. Go this way also if you want to take the inland route to Harker's Ialand/Cape Lookout, as I often do in the summer (with prevailing southerly winds).

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Fishing the world one cast at a time:eek: JnK, love the quote!

Reactions: jamesandkim1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.