NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put Temple Fork Outfitters to the test last week. While out trying some large Poppin Bugs that I had tied, I snapped the tip off of my 8wt. I sent the rod and a $25 as instructed. In just over a week, I got my rod back with two new sections and with no hassle. IMO this is the best value going. A great casting rod, affordable, and a no hassle lifetime warranty. Think I'll try one of their casting rods.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good to hear. I've had my 8ft 4wt now for 2 years. Great rod. I got it at Bass Pro for like 49.99 clearance. I asked the guy why so cheap? Rod sold for over $100. He told me that they are changing the reel seat and if I broke it, I would get the updated version. SOLD! Great castability. I definitly will get another.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes sir :DIm on pro staff with TFO and the reason being -they have killer rods and they are cheap-more importantly they are the nicest people in the world, really easy to deal with. Mr. Kent Edmonds is the rep. for my area and comes by my fly shop when he can get to the mountains. Hes so cool he gave me a few casting improvements and let me try any rod i wanted. Not too many of the guys in that line of buisness are so down to earth and genuinely nice. Way to go TFO

·
Registered
353 Posts
Its a great fly rod, no doubt about it. Performance and price are great too. I don't have one, mostly because I have others that I have had for years and I have them rigged with the type of fishing I am going to be doing. I just don't need another rod, but for someone who is buying now I completely agree with Backlash too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The TFO rods cast great and have a great price but there is no doubt that these rods are too fragile. I broke an 8wt with 12lb tippet in a kayak coming past a snag on submerged timber with just a little force. The rod broke just below the bottom ferrule (the thickest part of the rod)--I would say that this is a sign of defect in the rod. I have heard many other reports of broken TFO rods, which makes me a bit hessitant to buy another one. However, I must commend TFO on their service, I mailed in the rod with a $25 check and had a new butt section back in exactly 7 days (5 business days).

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will tell you that the break in my TFO was completely my fault. The best thing about their service is the No-Fault warranty. Most companies will not a warrant that shows signs of mishandling or abuse. The vast majority of the time a rod break is the result of the user and generally the break is in the first 8 inches from the tip, which is usually the result of a car door, or rod locker closing at the wrong time. A break close to the handle would tend to indicate a fault in the material. In this case, I would talk to them about this and explain that I think the $25 would seem inappropriate to replace a defective rod. You may not get the answer that you would prefer but it's worth a try away. In my case, I was more than happy to send them the money rather than buy a whole new rod. I have two TFOs now and will likely buy more in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.