NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
There ya go Tim! First annual NCAngler Bowfin Classic!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the link to the trash fish tournament that I found Trash Fish Classic - Home

They assign a point system to each species of fish. The boat that catches the fish with the highest points total wins.

Example:

Pinfish = 1 point
Lizardfish = 2 points
Toadfish = 3 points
Sea Mullet = 4 points

So you try to catch as many different fish as you can targeting the highest point fish.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
One mans trash is another mans treasure:eek:

Who put sea mullet up as a trash fish, oh yea from Fla.

When I was in Fla on a vacation fishing, the guide said Spanish Mackeral was only used for cut bait for sharks,:eek: again FLA

Look how many people in NC chase the Spanish and sea mullet our treasured fish.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
You can have the mullet (they are okay to eat just not my favorite). On the other hand, send me all your unwanted toadfish. They ain't no good to eat :eek: but I'll find something to do with 'em;)

If ya decide to keep a few toadfish for yourself, here's a link to a good way to clean them.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
On the other hand, send me all your unwanted toadfish. They ain't no good to eat :eek: but I'll find something to do with 'em;)
I'm trying to imagine what that might be...
- Heads on stakes along the walkway to scare away salesmen?
- Wide-wobble trolling alternative to ribbonfish?
- Cheaper than tennis balls for playing fetch with fido?

They look like fish muppets to me. Creepy little buggers. 3 points though - pretty good score!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I'm trying to imagine what that might be...
- Heads on stakes along the walkway to scare away salesmen?
- Wide-wobble trolling alternative to ribbonfish?
- Cheaper than tennis balls for playing fetch with fido?

They look like fish muppets to me. Creepy little buggers. 3 points though - pretty good score!
  • I am a salesman so don't want to do that first one :)
  • Hum...might try that....nah..... even the kings think toads are ugly :eek:
  • my Fido loves fish, even ugly ones, so it would be a one time fetch :rolleyes:
Keep trying.......:D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have a strange feeling that one very sought after, reef dwelling, most delicious, hard pulling, sea monster likes them alot!?......??

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hum....guess my sarcasm didn't come through, sorry guys.

Toad fish may be ugly but the strip of meat on their back is some of the finest you can eat. You need a bunch of 'em to make a meal but if you get a tool like the one in the video (see link above) cleaning them is a snap! It is about the time of year they show up in the surf and they are often caught from the piers.

·
Registered
489 Posts
TOPSAIL ANGLER,
TOAD FISH? MAN THEY ARE UGLY AS SIN CATCH EM ALOT FROM THE SHORE HERE ON QUEENS CREEK BUT ALWAYS THREW THEM BACK.

NCPIERMAN, I thought they were trash also, until last year when someone on Surf City Ocean Pier showed me how to clean them. Beautiful white firm flesh on either side of the spine. NO BONES! Tast great! Give 'em a try!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
There are two toad fish-- the puffer toad (the pretty one with a small mouth that I eat) and the oyster toad ( the UUGLY one with a big mouth that I don't eat) which I had to kiss last fall to break a fish no catch spell that somebody cast upon me. At least Bread Man informed me that was what I had to do to break the spell. I believe I need to kiss another one to get off the skunk list........... if I could just catch one of them.:confused:

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I thought maybe they were secret grouper bait...LOL

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are two toad fish-- the puffer toad (the pretty one with a small mouth that I eat) and the oyster toad ( the UUGLY one with a big mouth that I don't eat) which I had to kiss last fall to break a fish no catch spell that somebody cast upon me. At least Bread Man informed me that was what I had to do to break the spell. I believe I need to kiss another one to get off the skunk list........... if I could just catch one of them.:confused:

:DHi fojoloy, It's the puffer I am speaking of. That nasty, stinking, ugly, mud dwelling, oyster toad is sickehing. Oh, sorry, you kissed one didn't you?:eek:
Man, must have been a L O N G dry spell! LOL

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I saw that video from drumwagon last year and he makes quick work of them. gonna have to try these fish. Gotta get there and try for them first.

tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.