NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Definitely my favorite way to fish on the fly. I use a 4 wt fly rod, and when I get into some 1 lb bream, I have to be super quick to keep them away from cover. Had my best day ever on the fly rod on the 13th of this month. Lost count but think it would be safe to say I caught 30 bream in a little over 2 hours. I lost 3 flies and got hung up in cover 3 or 4 times. The wind was blowing me into the fish also. When I got one on, I had to run away from the bank, out into an open area to remove the fish. Then I had to circle back to fish the shore line I was fishing. Went again yesterday and caught only 8, but they were large also.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Caught 12 more yesterday morning. Slow start. 1st 4 were small. I lost one very large one that I should have gotten. thought I had it far enough away from the cover that getting hung up would not be a problem. NOT. I had one huge blow up that never produced anything. Had to have been a large LMB. It was a hit and miss. Don't think any LMB over 2 lbs would come back after a small bug fly. I tried anyway. Most of the ones I caught came from the same area. Not quite as large as the ones I caught on the 13th, but close.
Your thread has me fired up Kev2380. Probably won't go again until after Memorial Day.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would about rather catch a bream than anything else. Imagine if bream got as big as a bass could? It would be dangerous to get in the water. Ounce for ounce, pound for pound, the bream is about the hardest fighting freshwater fish out there. Strong lil buggers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.