NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
WAY TO GO FROGGY!!!! Now you know where to go to get some pullage and can find some more similar spots. (I hope you made sure you can find your way back.) Take care of them. They take a long time to get that big. You should be around to catch their babies when they grow up in 40 yrs or so. Not many of them make it that long. That is why they are such special fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for all you new guys just like me LISTEN, The Majik Drum Rig <---- go buy one of these from the local bait store.. about 6 bucks a package. I used them today and ever hook was on the lips where is suppose to be. No damage to the fish at all, took some pictures and gave it a kiss and let her go. You guys have done a great job preserving these fish.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Holy cow...all these guys DO know what they're talkin' about.:) Great catch. I'm hoping to make my way towards the coast sometime this month or next. Hope my luck is as good as yours. Great catch!!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I actually sell Capt. Owen Lupton's rigs in our online eStore (link above). We carry the Old Drum Majik rig (2 per pack), the Puppy Drum Majik rig (3 per pack), the Tarpon rig (2 per pack) and the Surf Drum rig (2 per pack). These rigs are all hand made and like froggy said, they do the job they were designed for, you catch more drum with less gut hooking, which leads to successful catch and release. I'm in Oriental now and have about 20 rigs with me myself. :D
Just for all you new guys just like me LISTEN, The Majik Drum Rig <---- go buy one of these from the local bait store.. about 6 bucks a package. I used them today and ever hook was on the lips where is suppose to be. No damage to the fish at all, took some pictures and gave it a kiss and let her go. You guys have done a great job preserving these fish.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
man I want to catch some of those!!! I love the way the 24" ones fight I know the 40+ have got to PULL!!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
They'll probably be gone by the end of October. They show up mid-summer but there is about a six week window from what I understand where they are around in large numbers. Mid-August thru September is optimum. Of course all things are subject to change in nature so these are rough timelines. :)
Im not sure maybe someone can correct me on this... but does the big red fish stop running in pamlico sound in Oct? or Nov? or is it the summer months?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.