NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This being my first post, I'd like to say thanks to this community, I've already learned a lot reading the fishing reports.

I'm in the Fort Bragg area and will be picking up my new boat in April (Gheenoe 15'6" Classic), a journey I've been on for a year now since my last fishing trip with my brother in Florida. My primary goal is to catch some of the big shallow water redfish NC has to offer, although I'll also be targeting bass and other freshwater species from time to time. First trips in the boat will be down in Florida, where I'm picking the boat up, targeting Reds on the coast, then snakehead on the canals. First trip in NC will most likely be in the Wrightsville beach area targeting redfish. Any words of wisdom for good places to put in and/or fish would be appreciated. Boat floats in 3-5" of water so I should be able to get just about anywhere as long as the water isn't too big getting there from the boat ramp. I'll post some pics of my boat when I get her. Thanks again for the good site.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Welcome aboard and good luck with the new craft and reds. If you aren't already familiar with the Wrightsville area waterways, creeks, tides etc. I'd book a trip or two with one of the guides. It could prove to be a valuable investment and will likely really expedite the learning curve. Also, Gary/Spec Fever has several seminars and clinics coming up in the eastern part of the state that may be of interest.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chiefly, any chance you have a recommendation or two (in addition to Spec Fever) with regards to a good guide for that area? Preferably an affordable one? Much appreciated.

Matt

Reactions: MOFISH

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Welcome to the site. One of the best intros I have read. If you get your thirst for reds filled enough to start thinking about mountain trout or smallies, send me a PM and we'll work out a trip.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the recommendation trigger22, I'll definitely give him a look.

dbeam/Darrell, I may need some convincing on the mountain trout, but I am way in for smallies. I'm originally from PA where I used to catch some smalls at a local reservoir. I have family in Boone, and a buddy of mine is from Hickory and always talked about the fishing there, so I'll PM you when I'm heading out there again.

Matt

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks pga. Can I assume from your user name that you also play golf? How do you decide which to do? lol I guess you can't eat golf balls.

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.