NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
great report D,

Glad we played a small part in it.
We stay at Fontana Village and basically fish Calderwood--11 miles away and Cheoah 1.5 miles away. This is year 3. The wife and I always have at least some success on both each fall. This year it was a pleasure to meet and fish with "D". He really is a good fisherman. He kicked our Butts.

We (I drive the boat, Michele reels in the catch) caught about 16 trout in 6 days and brought 14 home-all 14"-17" and only hooked one stud on a shad rap and the hooks pulled. We had most luck on 4'' dodgers and nightcrawlers(10) and a couple on spoons and plugs. Only one hit my pinkish hootchie. All were caught in the15-30' depths over 50-100' FOW.

I came up on "D" right after he lost that big Trout and he was as excited as a little kid.

I just booked Fontana Village for next Thanksgiving week. Can't wait for the Thanksgiving Buffet again.

Off to Cherokee in Dec and lake Jocassee in March

Have a great Holiday season

Coach

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fellow fisherfolks

Anyone who fishes Cheoah (2 min away) and Calderwood (19 min away) should consider a stay at Fontana Village Resort. Remember--it's old but has charm(needs tlc) and clean.
TVA took control and is making improvements each year. It is very safe to leave boat and equipment. The cabins have full kitchens. They even allow dogs. It is very reasonable and the 2 restaurants on grounds are reasonable and very good. There is a gas station with a store at the entrance and they even sell non-ethanol fuel. There is a big store, a laundry, a post office and an ice cream parlor.

WE LOVE THE PLACE!!! Already grabbed a reservation for Thanksgiving week next year. Maybe in the summer as well

Lots of options----Bear, wolf, cedar cliff a lil over an hour away, Santeelah about 40 min, Nantahala, about 50 min and Fontana right there as well as the 2 lakes below
On a windy day, we go mess around in Cherokee -only 50 min away---No trout the day we went but we saw a few ELK.

obviously we are sold

Happy Holidays

Coach

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe Cheoah and Calderwood are underfished. I stayed at Fontana Village in the summer for 10 days just before covid and had No more than 1 other boat on either lake. Other than 1 time on Calderwood- ( in march one year, we caught over 50 trout-all 12'' on top all over the lake--had to be fresh stockers) the fish always average 15-16 ''.

Fontana is an older resort but it is so convenient to the lakes we like to fish. I know the resort so I know what cabins make for easy boat parking as well. Ethanol free gas at pit stop gas station at FV also. Getting Bait is an issue though. You gotta plan. From Florida I stop at Hammonds outside of Atlanta or drive to Bryson city. If I do bring Live bait, I generally keep the shiners in my Boat's 20 gal livewell and grab a five gal bucket at the boat launch for water changes at the cabin. I keep my 5 gal buckets in milk crates to avoid tipping over. I buy 6 dozen night crawlers in Florida 2 weeks out, get them in Fat n Sassy bedding in 2 flip over worm boxes and keep in my patio fridge til go time. This eliminates the black dirt mess in my boat.

Coach

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am done with black dirt. You have to give them two weeks in the Fat & Sassy bedding to get it out of their system. I add worm food and I even change the bedding the day before too. I use the frabil styrofoam flip-over two-sided boxes. 3-3 1/2 dozen do fine in each. I put the Frabil box in an old Coleman 8 qt lunch cooler with an ice pack-it fits perfect. On the trip I rotate boxes. Eliminating the black dirt and replacing it with clean bedding has made my life better.

I have my crawlers from Thanksgiving and will use them over the 12/27-1/1 trip to cherokee and release any left after. I will do a new group for the March outing to Jocassee and a new group for our summer trip

Coach

1 - 4 of 4 Posts