NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, couldn't resist... My name is Dave and please don't call me "Sir" :)

Retired 17 years ago (from the Corps) and have been busy either building or helping a friend build a business - hence, I have found neither the time nor available finances to pursue my boating/fishing appetite. Prior to my retirement, I spent many days near shore and (up to 30 miles out) offshore fishing out of Cape Lookout Bight/Beaufort Inlet. Finally, I'm again able to pursue my passion to be on the water.

Thanks "Shakespeare" for your tip and direction to this site - - I met Shakespeare at the Carolina Skiff Owners forum. I'm certain I will enjoy my membership here and hope to provide as much help and information to others as I am sure to learn here.

My wife and I enjoy fishing for 'bout anything that pulls on a line and is good to eat. She prefers quiet water but I'm a little more adventuresome, though I too like flat seas and mild temps, provided there are fish to be caught. I enjoy boating, fishing, and just plain being on the water. If you were to come by my house and I am there, you're as likely to find me on my boat (in the yard) as at my picnic table in the back yard - hardly ever will you find me indoors in the day time. Yep, sometimes I just climb on the boat just to be "on the boat", no matter it's not in the water! In the unlikely event I'm not actually "in" the boat, I'm likely around the boat or in the shop working on tackle or some sort of rigging in the effort to make our fishing ventures more productive/effective.

Thanks for allowing me into your world

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sarge, I'd say you've found the right place. Welcome aboard and thank you for your selfless protection of our freedoms in this great country!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Welcome aboard, 1stSergeant Dave!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, 'preciate the welcome. I've been lurkin for a week or so on this and "the other" forum and it looks like I have my work cut out for me trying to learn all the promising hot spots you fellows have so kindly offered up. Met a local guide in Capt Joe Shute's this morning and he was really helpful telling me how, when, and where to go after these spec's everyone seems to be catchin this year.

Think I'll greet the sun in the mornin' from the bow of the skiff and see if I can cast a net over some shrimp. I'll be fishing around MHC area. Don't know much about catchin' shrimp but I'm getting ready to learn - or throw my back out tryin'. Put the fist 20 hours on the motor, got her serviced in two hours this morning and hope to clock the next 80 before the weekend comes.

Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seek no permission from me Sniper, but thanks for the greeting. I've crossed over Jordan a hundred times, (even hunted on the public land near the lake once) and I've always wondered how the striper fishery was on that lake. I've yet to catch a striper but hope to get at 'em this fall/winter. Be nice to fish fresh water again and not have to go through the anti-salt corrosion act each time the boat is taken from the water.

It's my goal to take the wife and skiff on the trail some day, from Lake Erie (Walleye) to the Florida Keys (Snook, Grouper, Snapper, and snorkeling).

Regards,
Dave

PS - Keep chasin' the bad guys for us, but remember - be careful out there, my friend :cool:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
That's ok, we'll just call ya by yer first name,,, Sgt! ;):)
I figured his first name was "First" -- shows what I know...

Interesting story about sergeants... My dad's youngest brother is 17 years his junior. When I was young and we'd visit my grandparents, the youngest two kids were still in the house, along with their dalmatian "Sarge". It wasn't until only a couple years ago that I heard how the dog got his name -- they named it after they got a letter from their big brother, who told of his promotion over in VietNam... my dad. I'd known he was over there, and I knew he was a sergeant... only heard two or three stories tho, he's not one who likes to talk about it...

I do know enough about those titles not to use "Lieutenant" on my Air Force buddy who just got promoted from Major. :)

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
funny,, now days alot of juniors in rank will say "sir", which is usually reserved for Officers and NCO's dont like to be called sir... :)

and was interesting to watch and NCO correct a junior in rank when the junior said sir... the NCO spun around and said, please, dont call me sir, call me by my first name.. and the junior asked, ok,, what's your first name? Seargent! was the reply.... ;)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Ah, now I get it! Thanks!
:D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Welcome First Sgt!

I'm in Havelock as well, probably just around the corner from you:)
I spend most of my time during this part of the year hunting but once i get my four down, I'll switch back to fishing. Hope to see you around a bit adn maybe I'll run into you at lews one day.

rye

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome aboard Sgt. and thank you so much for honorably serving our country and it's people!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
welcome aboard 1stSgt, and thanks for your service, now is the time to fish, looking foward to your post sir............................chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.