NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came down with a pretty bad head cold etc and have been feeling like poo of late. But after lunch today I figured an hour of fresh air might just help ole spider feel better.

Got to the lake at about 1:15 and started tossing the senko. Worked it in one spot for about 15 minutes and not a nibble. So I decided hey I only have an hour ( figured thats all I could handle and all my wife would let me have since I do need some rest ) I better make better use of my time and pull out the ole crank.

Loaded up the 3/4 Chartreuse red eyed, lately been only thing working, and went to work. The wind was non existent so that made tossing into all the places I wanted easy and also made it comfortable outside. The water was as calm as I have seen it. I usually start tossing under and around this one tree but decided to start my pattern from the shallower end toward the open lake water. I got my 8.75 last year on Jan 15 toward shallow end so figured hey what the heck.

Worked my way all along the area and started tossing out to the deeper water. About third cast into the deeper area I feel the fish grab it and starts running. I can tell from bend in the line and the little bit of drag going out that I have a nice fish on. I see it running so keeping the tip low it goes airborne a little and I can see from the mouth I have a quality fish on. It comes up a few more times and I guess all the splashing to some folks on the bridge watching and finally get in up and start hearing applause from some ver nice looking young ladies. ;) I holler if one of them would come over for a pic since I knew this one was close to 7. Nice way to start the year off for sure.

While they headed over I started to remove the lure from the big girl and it had the entire crank swallowed. All three front hooks were lodged up front in the roof of mouth and two of the back hooks were deep in. carefully removed the front ones and than worked on the back and was amazed not a sign of blood. Weighed in at 6.94 scale said 7 for a little till she stopped wiggling. Posed for the pics and the mouth is showing they are feeding on crawfish for sure.

Returned her back into the water and it took of quick no need to even get its bearing it just swooped out.

Finished working the are and moved on to my next favorite spot. This time I continued in deep water working back toward shallow. Within 10 tosses again the grab occurs but this one hit much closer to shore than the first. Got it one board and took a picture and than weighed it at 1.97 pounds. This one only had the rear hooks in it but again swallowed and needed a little more effort to free them. Again no blood and it took off fast as all get out.

Went back to the spot and 3 casts later again a grab and fish starts running toward shallow water I try to do the hooks but was a little to close to branches on left and as I tried to set the hook smacked the branch created slack and off it was. Immediately went over to grab the senko threw it around the area but no takers.

Finally at about 2:30 decided I had enough for the day and really needed a nap.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This thread motivated me to get back on the water. I've been busy and out of state for work and the holidays. First time out on the water in probably 2 months and snagged one on my second cast but that was it. You have that lake figured out.
What ya get it on saw ur kayak is back at lake. I lost my fav red eye on a snag I thought I knew where they all are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This thread motivated me to get back on the water. I've been busy and out of state for work and the holidays. First time out on the water in probably 2 months and snagged one on my second cast but that was it. You have that lake figured out.
I need to find some new spots though since my postings seem to have gotten more people fishing in my spot

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had that problem in cary spidey. gotta take pics that dont give away your position best you can
That's why I like fishing when it's really cold out since I usually get the entire lake to myself. I will work on my posing though so I am not facing the lake lol

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hit the lake yesterday for 1:30 since wife has been sick and needed to get back as soon as I could. Wind was blowing stiff from NW but I seem to have a lot of luck in one spot with wind blowing that direction . Started with sexy shad 3/4 oz, chartreuse one got lost last outing, worked first spot 30 minutes without a bump. Moved to second spot same not a hit. Moved to third spot and on second cast a nice 2.5 pounder. This one grabbed and fought right from the start made a few good runs and almost got me snag on a log but was able to,pull it away. Wind died for last 10 minutes so tired it along a few bank spots but not a bump.

hoping to hit the lake today as well.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Nice fish, Spidey! Bringing in the New Year right and setting your bar high already, I see!

Reactions: spidey and dbeam

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice fish, Spidey! Bringing in the New Year right and setting your bar high already, I see!
My goal this year is to get a 9#+. There has to be one on the lake someplace.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.