NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started a house in a gated community in transylvania county when the owner shows up. she notices I have a redfish decal on the rear window with my lifetime sportsmen sticker and asks me if I fish. Then she begins to tell me that fish feel pain and that they should have the same rights as people. the price of this house is just under $800,000 and she informs me that she is a pet therapist. I think I am in the wrong business :confused:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
redfishtom---It appears on the surface and sounds that she may be dipping into peta fundings-- if she disapproves of your decal, she should watch me scale a flopping flounder. I wonder if her patients are vegetarians.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty sure that her husband provides most of the income and I think that she does it as a hobby , but it sounds to me that she still has way too much time on her hands. at least that is what the guinea pig tells me

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
redfishtom---I wonder if this lady can get "vibs" from hungry fish. I believe if she can communicate with fish, she can improve her income with the fish bite predictions and forget about those confused dogs and cats. I would have to ask or bust a gut.:D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
redfishtom said:
they should have the same rights as people
With rights come responsibilities. Ante up their taxes, show up at the voting booth.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
All fish die (just like everything else). Very few die of natural causes. Most are eaten by something else. Often very violently.

That lady needs to understand that fish in our lakes, streams and oceans are not PETS. They are food in the eco system.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Everyones got a cause, her's happens to be the PETA thing... that's fine for her, I dont agree with it or her/them PETA people. If she was my neighbor, I'm sure she'd have heartburn with my deer hang out back and my fish cleanin table... but oh well... I'm sure it wouldnt keep us from bein neighbors other than the fact I couldnt afford to live in her neighborhood! :)

I think I could find a better use for $800K than on a house! :) :) :) (i.e. bigger boat, more fishin stuff!) ha ha ha ha ha.....

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Wellcraft Dave said:
I think I could find a better use for $800K than on a house! :) :) :) (i.e. bigger boat, more fishin stuff!) ha ha ha ha ha.....
<chuckle> A hat like Forrest's...

A ROD-CLOSET like Forrest's, that's more like it!!!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Guy's the world is full of ignorant people. Whatever you do, don't let them get you down. I think if I were going to preach to people about how wrong they are I would take a little bit of time to do some unbiased reasearch. Then I'd try to use a little common sense. Those redfish are murdering all the shrimp, crabs, baby fishes and etc. which just might feel a little pain theirselves. Somebody has to take the side of the little guys.;) AL

·
Registered
574 Posts
Al, Does that mean it's ok to sacrifice a few finger mullet to save the rest?:D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know it sounds funny to you guys, and I don't know the situation in your areas, but up here these beliefs are becoming more popular. In the last 10 years we have had so many tree huggers and granola eaters, half are trust fund babies who have to have a summer home in the mtns. to stay at during their protests, the other half hang around downtown asheville and panhandle or hand out leaflets, invade. years ago people said that it would never happen, that hunting and fishing would never come under attack up here, oh how wrong they were. what tickles me is that the High school kids who show up at the kfc's and the office depots to protest show up driving mommys big gas sucking suv. none have ever pulled a raft or john boat down the tuckaseegee to pick up trash, or volunteered to plant trees along a trout stream to stop erosion. if i've offended any tourists out there , I apologize

·
Registered
574 Posts
redfishtom said:
if i've offended any tourists out there , I apologize
You're supposed to offend tourists, or as we called them at the beach, dit-dots & tow-rows. We're all tourist at some point or never leave the house. The "locals" are supposed to be nice and polite and then talk bad about the "tourists" when they leave their $ behind. Just like the flounder is supposed to eat the mullet and I'm supposed to eat the flounder. It's the way life works. Just remember what you don't like abut tourists when you is one!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sacrificing a few finger mullet for the good of the species is certainly acceptable. Hopefully this Gulp craze will save a bunch of finger mullet too though. I can remember when they were much more plentiful. I can also remember when amberjacks were commonly caught off the ends of the piers. What's up there? Tourists eat 'em all?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Well I'll tell y'all this....

With gas prices goin the way they are, the fish populations will probably make a excellent come-back when fuel hit's $4 a gallon for offshore and charter guys (already close to it in some places at Marina's!!)... put's a big crimp on how much and how far big boats with big motors go.... Of course you'll have your guys that will go out no matter what,,, but watch for some curbing of fishing due to fuel.

Who knows, we all might be in canoes and kyacks before it's all over with.

I gotta agree with Redfishtom, it's funny that these folks who buy big ol' SUV's and stuff (that dont haul or tow anything with....) are the ones haulin butt down our highway's drivin up fuel costs. Think about it next time out on the road... do the 'actual' speed limit and watch how many "big" vehicles practically run you over (or at least that's how it is around Fayetteville area and around Sanford, especially on 87 N/S). Them folks drive like there's no tomorrow... and if they keep loadin up on high dollar fuel,, then the fuel companies will keep chargin everyone what they are AND raising the price.... (good ol supply and demand).

I'll tell ya this, I do agree with being envoirnment friendly, I.e. dont throw yer trash out, plant trees and all that... what I dont agree with is... Fish cry, Tree's feel pain,,,,, sorry... it's called the food chain and nature. And nature can be the most brutal and unforgiving world to live in. Just watch National Geographic sometime on TV and watch how animals fight each other over a "kill" to survive!! That's nature in it's purest form... Big fish eat little fish, bigger fish eat the big fish.... let me see.. man eats the fish too... hmmm... been goin on since man's walked the earth??!!

Them PETA folks wont get it no matter what anyone tells them, and I've found arguing with them is like talkin to a brick wall, let them eat their clover salads and sunflower seeds and let them drive them fuel mizin green cars cause eventually the gene pool has a way of removing them as well.... Them folks will be the first folks in trouble in the event of a natural disaster (if big enough...) and will ironically rely on us as hunters and fisherman for their food...

Sorry for the ramble... Them folks just push my 'big red button' and I get all bent up on that.... My boys will grow up to respect nature, but they will also know they are hunter/gathers and how to benifit from mother nature too. Just my .25 cents I know I'll still lop of heads of mullet for bait and send'm to the bottom! :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
forgot about being a tourist when i go to the coast, technically, I am still in the same state:rolleyes: . Just had to ramble on about the ignorance of some so called environmentalists. These are the same people who ramble on about the gorgeous views, then build a house on top of the mountain they have just bought, or the tree hugger who says all the litter on the side of the stream is caused by fishermen. but instead of rolling up there sleeves and getting dirty, they put pamphlets under your wiper blades. I guess we have forgotten where the food comes from. There are people that will squirm and say things when you are filleting a fish, but will think nothing of reaching in the freezer for the fish sticks. I guess I just let this lady get to me. Thus endeth the sermon:confused: by the way what is the story of tow rows and dit - dots, I just gotta know. we have leaf lookers and left lane drag racers.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i find that most are highly educated and totally misinformed people with WAY to much time on there hands.look at them there older - 60's hippi era-protesters.. i know a few personly we discuss any thing but hunting/fishing.

zooker

·
Registered
574 Posts
redfishtom said:
by the way what is the story of tow rows and dit - dots, I just gotta know.
I'm not sure where dit-dot came from. I learned it early on from my "*******" uncle. (He would take that has a compliment. He's also the one that taught me flounder fishing, cast net throwing and frog gigging and a little about the consumption of adult beverages, before I was an adult.) I'll ask him next time I'm home. Seabiscuit might know, he lived on the frontlines for 3 decades.

Tow-rows, now I is one. That describes a dit-dot with a boat or camper. They head for the beach towing in long lines, or rows, of traffic. Just can't wait to cross the bridge. Sorry Tom, but this includes inland tarheels too. If I'm one in Clayton you don't have a chance.:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.