NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the day today at Shelley Lake in Raleigh. I got out there at around 11:00 am, much later than I would normally go on any fishing trip. All I brought with me was my spinner rod, weighted bobbers, #6 red hooks, red swivels, water gremlins (weights), and a container of red wigglers. I was set for a day of just sitting on the fishing pier enjoying being outside. Instead what I got was non-stop channel cat action...

Between 11 and 4 pm, I caught 19 cats. Thats an average of 1 cat every fifteen minutes! Granted none of the cats were of any notable size (1/4 lb to 2 lbs..), It was a blast... Sometimes the simplest things are the best...:)

If you are going to go for a quick fix, I usually get more action and bigger fish between 7 and 10 am or 5 pm and sunset. There are two feeders directly across the lake from each other. One off the boat house dock where the feeder is easy to cast to and one off a cleared shoreline. Give me shout if you are planning to go.. always love the company..

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
5 hours of steady bite is a good day by any standard!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
476 Posts
i remember going out there when i was little with my mom and i would fish the other feeder down close to the bridge where the other dock was, i went out there one sunday a month or so ago when it was raining and not 100 degrees! and noticed it was gone(feeder and dock)... just needed to get outside with out worrying about the heat! just walked around throwin a 10 inch ol monster, caught 2

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to Shelley lake yesterday to try out my method again with success. I caught 18 channel cats between 9 am and 4 pm. Same set up as before.. One cat was approx 5 lbs..! the trick seems to be getting your cast as far out beyond the feeders as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are no warning signs about eating the fish (many do) and the daily creel here is 6 fish per angler. I am a little sceptical though due to the neighbor hoods on both side of the feeder stream up on hills. All there lawn chemicals etc. will just drain into the lake. The fish are farm raised and stocked, but any fish of size will have had to be in the lake for a few years s it takes channel cats 4-5 yrs to reach 5 lbs...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.