NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think all of us that fish regularly have had trouble at one time or another with inconsiderate fishermen moving in on us when when begin to catch fish whether it's on the surf or in a boat. It's not that we are claiming the water, it's just respecting the rights of fellow fishermen and these encroachment situations are one reason why I prefer fishing in the remote backwaters and inlets instead of the heavily fished areas. It has not always been this way. During the 70's we fished with a group of regulars from the bank at Shallotte Inlet. Each fall when the spots would begin to run, we would set up with our cooler, rod holders and tackle box, kind of marking our little area to fish from. Many people would park and sit in their cars within sight of where the regulars would be fishing. Just as soon as the bite would start, they would roll out of their cars like a colony of ants with rods and reels in hand. Not only would they get elbow to elbow with us, they would step right in front us to fish.

One Saturday afternoon the spots started biting and here comes the ants. The Good Wife turned to me and said," I'm getting tired of this mess". You have to bear in mind that she could and still can ring a bucket at 50 paces with a lure. She took a 6 oz. bank sinker out and replaced her 1 oz. with it. She looked straight ahead and made a mighty cast, it went went for about 40 ft. 90 degrees to her left landing about 3 ft. from the bank. She began reeling in as fast as she could collecting about ten lines in the process. All the time that she was reeling she was exclaiming, " I am so sorry. It seems I will never get the hang of casting". What a mess of tangled bunch of rigs she pulled in. She cut her rig off and repeated the same thing except this time it went to the right. I appeared to be unobservant sitting on a bucket catching spots while this was going on. Afterward, we had plenty of room on each side. A good looking woman with an innocent looking smile can get by with things which I would probably get my jaw jacked should I try doing the same thing.

What brought to mind is that this past fall, we were anchored out trout fishing when a couple fellows in a boat dropped anchor right in a hole where we were trout fishing. Well, when the Good Wife stepped up on the bow deck, I knew what was coming, the first cast her 1/4 oz. jig landed on the dash of their center console, the second hit their engine before bouncing onto their deck. They immediately pulled anchor and didn't stop again within our sight. I guess an apologetic grandma that can't cast straight with an innocent looking smile can get by with most anything.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Is she for hire?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Great story. I have an uncle my dad and I would go pier fishing with. Mostly during the spot runs. We would set up as usual in a descrete place, respecting others "claimed" space. Early on in these trips I questioned my uncle on what the purpose was for this ultra ugly and worn out rod he carried. He being one of those who always had the newest and flashiest of equipment. I soon learned. When the bite would turn on we would get swarmed. So out comes the rod and a mighty cast. His reply was "That'll keep 'em busy for a while".

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Been there several times myself. 99% of the time It resolves itself fairly quickly without any misbehaving or cross words. Here is a tip for Pier spot fishing with a group of regulars, family or just co conspirators when the situation is getting out of hand. You need to be set up ahead of time to pull it off. On the upwind side of the group cast out a BIG King Rig anchor on 65 lb braid just as far and straight out and perpendicular to the pier as it gets. Don't move it. get it dug in and just tighten it up. Put a tackle box and a cooler between it and your group. On the downwind side you can use 3 day old rotten shrimp or another similar anchor rod set up the same way to mark your "boundry". People don't like the damage braided line does to mono and will soon move away from it if they keep throwng across it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think all of us that fish regularly have had trouble at one time or another with inconsiderate fishermen moving in on us when when begin to catch fish whether it's on the surf or in a boat. It's not that we are claiming the water, it's just respecting the rights of fellow fishermen and these encroachment situations are one reason why I prefer fishing in the remote backwaters and inlets instead of the heavily fished areas. It has not always been this way. During the 70's we fished with a group of regulars from the bank at Shallotte Inlet. Each fall when the spots would begin to run, we would set up with our cooler, rod holders and tackle box, kind of marking our little area to fish from. Many people would park and sit in their cars within sight of where the regulars would be fishing. Just as soon as the bite would start, they would roll out of their cars like a colony of ants with rods and reels in hand. Not only would they get elbow to elbow with us, they would step right in front us to fish.

One Saturday afternoon the spots started biting and here comes the ants. The Good Wife turned to me and said," I'm getting tired of this mess". You have to bear in mind that she could and still can ring a bucket at 50 paces with a lure. She took a 6 oz. bank sinker out and replaced her 1 oz. with it. She looked straight ahead and made a mighty cast, it went went for about 40 ft. 90 degrees to her left landing about 3 ft. from the bank. She began reeling in as fast as she could collecting about ten lines in the process. All the time that she was reeling she was exclaiming, " I am so sorry. It seems I will never get the hang of casting". What a mess of tangled bunch of rigs she pulled in. She cut her rig off and repeated the same thing except this time it went to the right. I appeared to be unobservant sitting on a bucket catching spots while this was going on. Afterward, we had plenty of room on each side. A good looking woman with an innocent looking smile can get by with things which I would probably get my jaw jacked should I try doing the same thing.

What brought to mind is that this past fall, we were anchored out trout fishing when a couple fellows in a boat dropped anchor right in a hole where we were trout fishing. Well, when the Good Wife stepped up on the bow deck, I knew what was coming, the first cast her 1/4 oz. jig landed on the dash of their center console, the second hit their engine before bouncing onto their deck. They immediately pulled anchor and didn't stop again within our sight. I guess an apologetic grandma that can't cast straight with an innocent looking smile can get by with most anything.
LOL WE NEED A FEW MORE WIVES LIKE YOURS !!!!
If she ever want's to learn to fly fish just give me a call. I'll bet she could clear the banks for a country mile. Great story !!! Tell her Daniel Boone gives her a great BIG AT-A-GIRL !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.