NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fisherman any help would be appreciated!
I would fish the frying pan years ago for bream, crappie, white perch. You could call me a perch jerker, caught a lot of fish. I heard that storms and salt water intrusion had devastated that fishery. Will it be worth my time to drive 150 miles to try again. It has been years since I have been there. My 14 year old daughter and I would like to try it, if it is where we can catch a limit if they are biting.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Hope you get answers on this. I've only fished the Alligator around Fairfiield, but that was many years ago. It was a very interesting place. I have heard that East Lake, I think, was good for bream. I love catching bream on the fly rod.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My great grandfather used to go all the time to fish the Scuppernong River and caught lot of bass. I have the black & white hero shots to prove it. He had a VW bus and camped for many years down there in the 50's and 60's. I bet that was some serious boondocks back then. It must have been good fishing as the only place he went I know of and it had to have been a five hour drive on those old roads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have fished the Alligator River and Frying Pan/Second creek and others for over 35 years....the fishing there use to be outstanding for any type of freshwater fish and also for stripers at certain times....I began fly fishing those waters about 25 years back and again it was great fishing with days catching 100's of bream and bass.........now...

It is not as good as it was....I have not fished there in about 10 years and went back last year about this time of year for two days and although I caught fish....Bass/Bream and white perch....the numbers were way down....average catch per day....around 5 to 10 bass, nothing large....25 bream and about the same on white perch....all perch were medium size...eaters but not large.
A friend of mine was down there a week ago in the pan.....and he said the bream had not spawned yet...water still cold for this time of year...........He did manage to catch white perch....but they were way off the bank.....

I am heading down on Friday for three days to fly fish and will give you a report and video of the action when I return. The full moon was yesterday.....so if the fish are going to hit....it should be this weekend...

·
Registered
358 Posts
That fishery isn't too far from New Bern by the way the crow flies. The shellcrackers and most of the big bream bedded the full moon of May. I know some of the smaller bream will continue to bed in waves. So if you don't have any luck where you think typical bedding action should be happening, try a little deeper. 2 weeks ago I saw water temps well into the upper 70s and that's plenty warm for the panfish to bed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have fished the Alligator River and Frying Pan/Second creek and others for over 35 years....the fishing there use to be outstanding for any type of freshwater fish and also for stripers at certain times....I began fly fishing those waters about 25 years back and again it was great fishing with days catching 100's of bream and bass.........now...

It is not as good as it was....I have not fished there in about 10 years and went back last year about this time of year for two days and although I caught fish....Bass/Bream and white perch....the numbers were way down....average catch per day....around 5 to 10 bass, nothing large....25 bream and about the same on white perch....all perch were medium size...eaters but not large.
A friend of mine was down there a week ago in the pan.....and he said the bream had not spawned yet...water still cold for this time of year...........He did manage to catch white perch....but they were way off the bank.....

I am heading down on Friday for three days to fly fish and will give you a report and video of the action when I return. The full moon was yesterday.....so if the fish are going to hit....it should be this weekend...
As Promised. Fishing was really poor....the fish are not there like the use to be...water temp was 73 to 77 degrees...perfect....never smelled any fish...perch are scattered and off the bank.....Bream are hit an miss......enjoy........

https://youtu.be/bZA1bxufoNA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.