NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched American Pharoah win the Preakness. Two wins down, one to go for the Triple Crown.
He has a chance to place his name beside the other winners of that coveted crown.
I remember 1973, and Secretariat. He won the TC and did it with power and style, still holding the records in all three all these years later.
He won the Derby in 1:59 2/5, the Preakness in 1:53 flat, and the Belmont in 2:24 flat, by an astonishing 31 lengths.
American Pharoah's time was 158.46. More than five seconds slower, although the track was wet, it wouldn't make up five+ seconds.
Watch this move by Secretariat in his Preakness. Last to first in 150 yards!
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...bgF79IOo/RK=0/RS=obvWcavF_UDfBwCzWbU7RaT3zUk-
Now the Belmont.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...ui3Rtjz4/RK=0/RS=39E9oMT.WO2.OCVTCFRGRbJCCA0-
No doubt, this was the greatest thoroughbred ever..

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Just watched American Pharoah win the Preakness. Two wins down, one to go for the Triple Crown.
He has a chance to place his name beside the other winners of that coveted crown.
I remember 1973, and Secretariat. He won the TC and did it with power and style, still holding the records in all three all these years later.
He won the Derby in 1:59 2/5, the Preakness in 1:53 flat, and the Belmont in 2:24 flat, by an astonishing 31 lengths.
American Pharoah's time was 158.46. More than five seconds slower, although the track was wet, it wouldn't make up five+ seconds.
Watch this move by Secretariat in his Preakness. Last to first in 150 yards!
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...bgF79IOo/RK=0/RS=obvWcavF_UDfBwCzWbU7RaT3zUk-
Now the Belmont.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...ui3Rtjz4/RK=0/RS=39E9oMT.WO2.OCVTCFRGRbJCCA0-
No doubt, this was the greatest thoroughbred ever..
Foolish Pleasure was my favorite.............

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Magnificent animal to be sure. Heroic feats. But I meant just racehorses.
And I liked Foolish Pleasure. Too bad he'll always be remembered for the match race against the great filly Ruffian, who broke down in the race and had to be destroyed. I believe he'd beaten her anyway, but we'll never know.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Convincing win, great demeaner by all. Have to remember the earplugs for any stressful situation.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
There was Big Red, and then there was every other racehorse. American Pharoah, Affirmed, Seattle Slew all in my lifetime, were great horses. But Secretariat remains the greatest of all time. Pretty darned good movie too-- and Diane Lane is smokin' hot!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
These type comparisons are fun to discuss, but concensus will most likely never be reached. Another way to rank the best ever is to show me the money.

hattp://www.paulgarganracing.com/2015/03/28/highest-earning-racehorses-of-all-time/

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Very exciting to have another Triple Crown winner.

Secretariat has to be the best 3yr old ever both by winning and how he won. The most amazing stat for me was his quarter-mile times at the Kentucky Derby. The successive quarter-mile times were 25[SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]5[/SUB], 24, 23[SUP]4[/SUP]⁄[SUB]5[/SUB], 23[SUP]2[/SUP]⁄[SUB]5[/SUB], and 23 meaning he was accelerating the whole time!

But was Secretariat the greatest race horse ever? Harder to say. His record was 16-3-1. But look at Man-O-War whose record was 20-1-0. He did not enter the Kentucky Derby but won the Preakness and Belmont. The only race he did not win he started badly and was last but only lost by 1/2 a length.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very exciting to have another Triple Crown winner.

Secretariat has to be the best 3yr old ever both by winning and how he won. The most amazing stat for me was his quarter-mile times at the Kentucky Derby. The successive quarter-mile times were 25[SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]5[/SUB], 24, 23[SUP]4[/SUP]⁄[SUB]5[/SUB], 23[SUP]2[/SUP]⁄[SUB]5[/SUB], and 23 meaning he was accelerating the whole time!

But was Secretariat the greatest race horse ever? Harder to say. His record was 16-3-1. But look at Man-O-War whose record was 20-1-0. He did not enter the Kentucky Derby but won the Preakness and Belmont. The only race he did not win he started badly and was last but only lost by 1/2 a length.
His record was 16-4-1, but..
His first race as a two year old he was impeded and knocked to his knees by Quebec, that same year he won the Champagne Stakes handily but was disqualified for bumping Stop The Music, who was placed first. The Wood Memorial prior to the Derby he ran very dully, and it was discovered he had an abscess in his upper lip, which prevented him from grabbing the bit and taking off. He came down with a fever and was sick after the Whitney. Woodward Stakes was a mystery.
His times for distance are far better than Man O' War's, not even close really. Now one could say it's hard to compare them, different horses from different eras, but remember, Secretariat STILL holds records in all the Triple Crown races, set back in 1973, 42 years ago.
Blood Horse Magazine came out with its list of top 100 thoroughbreds of all time. Man O War was first, Secretariat second. The seven panelists voted on a point system, and it was discovered one of them voted Secretariat number fourteen! That cost him the top spot, and only a moron would think that there were 13 horses better than Big Red!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Except from Wikipedia.

A necropsy revealed Secretariat's heart was significantly larger than that of an ordinary horse.[SUP][37][/SUP] An extremely large heart is a trait that occasionally occurs in Thoroughbreds, linked to a genetic condition passed down via the dam line, known as the "x-factor".[SUP][37][/SUP][SUP][39][/SUP][SUP][40][/SUP][SUP][41][/SUP] The x-factor can be traced to the historic racehorse Eclipse, which was necropsied after his death in 1789. Because Eclipse's heart appeared to be much larger than other horses, it was weighed, and found to be 14 pounds (6.4 kg), almost twice the normal weight. Eclipse is believed to have passed the trait on via his daughters, and pedigree research verified that Secretariat traces in his dam line to a daughter of Eclipse.[SUP][37][/SUP] In the 20th century, the heart of Phar Lap was weighed and also documented to be 6.35 kilograms (14.0 lb),[SUP][42][/SUP] or essentially the same size as that of Eclipse.
At the time of Secretariat's death, the veterinarian who performed the necropsy, Dr. Thomas Swerczek, head pathologist at the University of Kentucky, did not weigh Secretariat's heart, but stated, "We just stood there in stunned silence. We couldn't believe it. The heart was perfect. There were no problems with it. It was just this huge engine."[SUP][38][/SUP] Later, Swerczek also performed a necropsy on Sham, who died in 1993. Swerczek did weigh Sham's heart, and it was 18 pounds (8.2 kg). Based on Sham's measurement, and having necropsied both horses, he estimated Secretariat's heart probably weighed 22 pounds (10.0 kg),[SUP][37][/SUP] or about two-and-three-quarters times as large as that of the average horse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.