NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the Haw today to do a bit of carpin'. It was disappointing to say the least. I started at the 64 over pass and headed south. I walked the river for about 5 hours and saw not one carp. Heck, I didn't even take my fly off the hook keeper. I will say this....wading the Haw is not for the faint of heart. The jagged boulders will test anyones balance and wading ability. On another note, I had a water moccasin decide to play chicken with me. Now I believe that you should not mess with something when you're in its home. So I tried to give the snake a wide berth. He saw me...I saw him. He popped smoke and got out of my area. I thanked him profusely and continued to scan for carp. After a few minutes of watching, I moved on. Found the next stretch of water that looked promising and who do I see again, yup....that same **** snake. Only this time, his escape routes are very limited, as in directly behind me. I'm desperately trying to keep my cool as he advances towards me, however its not easy because I am trying to bust my butt, my fly rod and my dignity as I frantically retreat. So to recap, I didn't catch or see any carp and I got the bejezus scared out of me by a snake.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I've only known carp to hit an imitation mulberry "fly" on the C & O canal outside D.C. Guys walk the old towpath and murder big carp when the berries are dropping.

It's odd you spotted the first verified water moccasin in the Haw ever but didn't see a single one of the ten million carp that roam it.

If you really need to catch a carp on a fly I know spots, but I was only successful using Wheaties doughballs
as my "fly" on a fly rod. No double hauling with that rig :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Drive to Chapel Hill over by University Mall across 15/501 there are a couple of big Rainbow soccer fields ( where everyone is a winner even the losers Laffin' ) and there's a pond just in back loaded last time I was there and hooked many on my 8 weight. Most of the Jordan Game Land duck impoundments have too many also.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The haw is loaded with some big carp but if you are bank fishing it is gonna be tough to find them . usually see several big schools when canoeing it. last time ND and I floated the haw I floated right over 1 big school that had some monsters in it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just made the trip up to CH to check out the pond by Rainbow soccer field, much to my dismay the field was locked up. The carp search continues......

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
966 Posts
Some things to consider....

1. There is a stretch on the Haw below Rt. 64 where the stream bed gradient is rather intense. Unless you went downstream beyond the Gabriels Bend/Moosejaw falls area, you may have selected a poor location. I would go up from Robeson Ck access or focus on the skinny water downstream of the Bynum. You should be able to spot tailers in the shoals.

2. The river carpers I know focus almost exclusively on sections of rocky stretches of river immediately below dams.

3. This reportedly will interest cruisers. http://www.flycarpin.com/2014/02/greggs-bitter-bugger-carp-fly.html

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Water levels were way up on the Haw today. I stayed on the trail for about a mile hoping to hit MooseJaw. Yesterday it was a perfectly wadeable river, today was a completely different story. I did however get a better picture of the river and some possible carpin spots. Not quite sure if I hit MooseJaw falls or not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had luck on the Haw for carp a few times, but much closer to Jordan lake. I've had decent luck in small, still feeder creeks or branches that feed into the Haw. Mostly on very small aquatic insect patterns. I'm not very good with the fly rod yet, but I have seem some small schools kicking it, but mostly in slower and shallower sections of the Haw. Don't have a bunch of advice or nothing, just piping in.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Quest continues, I'm going to check out the Beaver Creek impoundment today after I get out of work.

There's a duck impoundment on hwy 54 about 2 miles west of the I-40 exit going into CH that used to have a lot. Have not been there in years but used to bow fish it. The fish are n the pool below the bank where the creek starts under the road.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's a duck impoundment on hwy 54 about 2 miles west of the I-40 exit going into CH that used to have a lot. Have not been there in years but used to bow fish it. The fish are n the pool below the bank where the creek starts under the road.
Beaver Creek Impoundment was promising. Albeit, presented some difficult casting challenges. I could see some carp kicking up clouds of mud as they were feeding. Biggest challenge will probably be dealing with the muddy water.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.