NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
laid claim to a chunk of ocean 500 miles square for"sonar testing".. is this going to effect any of you guys? belive most of you all are shallow water guys. just wondering....

zooker

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The real problem with naval sonar is the impact it has on whales and porposises. The navy is fully aware of this and hopefully they are in the middle of an area where they will do the least amount of damage to the whales and porposises. Furthermore, I hope they are testing more sensitive listening equipment instead of more powerful transponders. I feel that with todays computer technology certain frequencies could be rapidly enhanced while others were filtered in order to analyze faint sounds. Computers then could match sound patterns to known examples to determine the source. I'm pretty sure this is old technology but with the advancement in technology in both areas there is room for improvement over what is being used. The Navy loves their active sonar but the pressure is on to limit its use. Maybe with improved listening technology will come variable power transponders and frequencies that are less damaging to our sea life. AL

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Now that I have looked into it a little bit I think that they are planning on testing mid freq. sonar which is very damaging to porpoises and whale. The navy claims that they set up their tests to avoid concentrations and migrating herds. I tend to think that once on site & testing they will not wait long enough for them to get far enough away. AL:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.