NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new member to the site. I love fishing, but don't get to do enough of it lately. I am
unfortunately strictly a bank fisherman due to the lack of a boat. A few summers ago I caught this bass at a local golf course and to this day I wonder if I should have kept it to get it mounted seeing that it is very possible that I never catch one this big again. At the time it seemed huge, but unfortunately I had a crappy camera phone, no scale, and no tape measure. As a good sportsman, I returned it to the pond shortly after I snapped the attached pics. I was wondering if anyone has any speculation as to the weight of the fish. My friend and my brother who were also there claim it to be at least 10lbs but I have no idea if this fish is anywhere in that ballpark. Idk if it helps but at the time of the photo I was 6ft tall and 195ish pounds. Any insight or opinion as to the size is appreciated. If you guys believe it is around the 10lb mark I may take the pics to a taxidermist and see if they can create one similar in size to mount on my wall.
Sky Water Plant Tree Fish
Water Sky Plant Vertebrate Shorts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
nice catch, looks to be in the realm of 7-8lbs. in the raleigh area there is are some great fishing opportunities and many bodies of water that hold monster bass. If you really want to get a mount made you can now get replicas made with measurements and a picture. they hold up better over time and in many cases look better and are cheaper to have made. the other benefit is that your fish of a life time gets to grow up and be somebody elses fish of a lifetime. welcome to the site

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
nice catch, looks to be in the realm of 7-8lbs. in the raleigh area there is are some great fishing opportunities and many bodies of water that hold monster bass. If you really want to get a mount made you can now get replicas made with measurements and a picture. they hold up better over time and in many cases look better and are cheaper to have made. the other benefit is that your fish of a life time gets to grow up and be somebody elses fish of a lifetime. welcome to the site
I would say 8 but NCStateFisher has one of the best scale eyes I know. I agree with him release the fish after pictures and measurements and get someone to create a replica for ya

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I would also give him 8# minimum. Unlike most photos on this site, his elbow is bent in the pictures; not as much camera perspective to discount.

There have been a number of threads on weight estimation based on photos, and you must accept that it is at best pure speculation. That being said, I'll throw in on it. I would agree with OptiMystic in this case on the 8lb lower end.

The data is limited. Without a length, it does pose some challenges. I have seen fish whose head was their biggest portion, and they tend to weigh lighter than expected. I have seen fish that are really stocky and are heavier than their length would suggest. It doesn't strike me as a particularly long fish but it really is both stocky and fat. Those are different things, in my opinion, and both add to my estimate. The body size is stocky - football shaped rather than skinny. In addition to that, the belly is also on the fat side. Both of those things raise the likely weight class of a fish. The only things that are directly comparable in the picture are your hands. Elbow flex and how far the fish is "held out" to the camera can have such an impact and be so illusory, that I tend to try to base my opinion on what can be compared directly. Based on the likely size of your hands, and the comparison of the fish's mouth compared to that, with the width of the body being noticeably bigger than the head but length not being as great, and taking that as a mental comparison of my personal best of 9'6" and how my hands compared to the fish's mouth and its length, I would best guess this fish at 7.5lb at a minimum and my best estimate is 8 to 8.5lb. I cannot honestly say that I think you quite had a 10 lber there. That's a mark I'm still seeking as well, so I would love to be able to tell you that but I just don't think so.

You did a great thing letting that fish live.

It's a really, really nice fish regardless, and for some people, possibly a fish of a lifetime. I'm 42 and have been bass fishing since I was 5 or 6 years old (my Dad doesn't remember specifically), and I have only caught three fish that were even close to that size. You should be proud.

Thanks for posting, and welcome to NCAngler.

----------------------
<-- 9lb 6oz on digital scale but I'm 5'9"

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate the feedback guys, I wish I would have gotten better pictures and brought along a scale and a tape measure.
I always bring one along now but haven't had any worth measuring lately.

It sounds like 8lbs is a safe guess so I'll go with that. Maybe I'll hit the 10lb mark someday.

Is this a good place to get a replica made?
Since I only have those two pictures idk if it would be possible for them to make an accurate one.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
One of the advantages of the reproduction type mounts is that they can make the fish as big as you want it to be.
I would consider that a disadvantage. ;) It leaves people to question the truth. The biologic mount on my office wall can't be faked, it's the actual fish. And it looks as good as it did when it was done 20 years ago. The guy that did it was really good at it.... and he doesn't even do them anymore, says it's just not worth the hassle because the models are so good now.

That being said, I would never kill a fish to have it mounted anymore. As much as I like the biologic mount I have from 1994, even I would just get a good reproduction done these days.

Reactions: dbeam and sundrop
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.