NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a "gently used" Hobie Pro Angler 12 and bought it considerably discounted from its price new. It came with a live well and a set of wheels, which made the discount even nicer. Yesterday I attached the PA to the back of a four-wheeler and transported it at 6 mph and less about a fifth of a mile to the back of my field where I put in. When I flipped the PA upside down to return it to storage, I discovered that the wheels had carved little divots in the hull where when the wheels actually came into contact with it during transport (see attached image).

1) Do you think applying and contouring some epoxy would adequately restore the hull to its before condition?
2) Does it seem to you that the divots are close to piercing the hull through?
2) What's the fix?
A. Stop transporting it with the four-wheeler?
B. Put something firm around the support bar that will prevent the hull from coming into contact with the wheels?
C. Buy softer and wider balloon wheels for transport (which is what I had with the kayak it replaced)?
D. Something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Most of the hobie or scupper type carts I have seen have the wheels outside the hull of the kayak. You may just want to consider getting a different cart.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You'll have a hard time getting epoxy to get a good mechanical bond on those plastics.

What I would do is get a tube of 3M 4200 quick cure.
Tape off the area because I don't know what acetone will do to your type of plastic.
Fill the hole with 4200 spray a little acetone on your smoothing device of choice and level it.

You could also go with 3M 5200 which is considered permanent.

These products don't just peel off like some you may be accustomed to such as silicone. They actually attach and hold. Instead of silicone based they are polyurethane based. They also come in a few colors. I think tan, white, and black. Maybe a few more. The most common color is white and is what most stores will stock.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Another option is to use a plastic repair stick that is sold in surf shops and some kayak shops. Surf shop is the best bet around our area. The stick is designed to be melted with a small torch OR a soldering iron and adheres to the plastic that way. I've never done it on a kayak but have repaired other plastic this way. I ripped the plastic fender on my last truck on a log. I repaired the damage with a large plastic zip tie that I melted with a soldering iron. Plastic welding...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I can't speak towards fixing your existing damage.... DR knows more about it in his little finger than I do in my whole body, I'd listen to him.

But, IMO, towing it at 6MPH with a 4wheeler and that type of cart is far from a good idea. I would look for cracks around the scupper holes as well as the divots....

In general, kayaks are not built for stress on the scupper holes. We are told not to put anchor sticks trough them because of the stress.

Get a different style cart if you're going to be towing it offroad.... Something that the kayak sit's on, and is designed for towing. I'm not sure what that would be, but a scupper cart definitely isn't it.

Reactions: papadave

·
Red X Angler
3,607 Posts
It looks like you are missing the collars that go on the cart to prevent the tires from contacting to hull. If there is no hole in the bottom of the hull you could just leave it the way it is. Plastic welding is another option if there is a hole.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Probably as good suggestions for the mend as any in the above posts. To keep it from happening again, I'd build up the rest in the middle of the cart with as thick a piece of noodle tubing as I could find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Collars" that go on the cart?

If I'm missing something, I suppose I'm not surprised. I know there were supposed to be scupper hole plugs that came with it, but I didn't get those, so maybe I should try to find out what the collar is that you're referring to. And, as a couple of fellows said, I should probably investigate a different kind of carrier for it. Maybe one with balloon tires would be better.

It looks like you are missing the collars that go on the cart to prevent the tires from contacting to hull. If there is no hole in the bottom of the hull you could just leave it the way it is. Plastic welding is another option if there is a hole.

·
Red X Angler
3,607 Posts
If I'm missing something, I suppose I'm not surprised. I know there were supposed to be scupper hole plugs that came with it, but I didn't get those, so maybe I should try to find out what the collar is that you're referring to. And, as a couple of fellows said, I should probably investigate a different kind of carrier for it. Maybe one with balloon tires would be better.
That model might not have the collars. You could take some PVC pipe cut the length that you would need to clear the tires and slide over the post that go through kayak and add something for cushion and keep them from going all the way through the bottom of your kayak. Hobie was adding them to some of there carts to prevent what happened with you.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
At that speed behind the 4 wheeler it was bouncing a lot and flexing the frame of the cart. Either rig something to set the yak higher off the wheels, maybe some pvc collars so it doesn't go as far into the scuppers? or replace them with smaller diameter ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would be difficult to negotiate that sale, Solo. Advance is about 275 miles from here, or I'd take you up on it. I couldn't view the pic you posted, but I did Google it and it's almost exactly what I had in mind. Might combine it with the PVC idea just to try to protect the scuppers.

Do you think you could get it packaged and sent through UPS or the PO?

·
Red X Angler
3,607 Posts
If you look at the pic in my post you would put the PVC below the collar shown and just cut the length you need. Since you do not have a collar just make something to keep the pipe from going into the scupper hole. Depending on the year of your PA 12 the newer models have a insert in the scupper to prevent cracking the scupper and getting a leak.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you go the plastic route to fill the divots, I would first cut a piece of stainless mesh smaller than the divot, get the plastic tacky on the yak, press in the mesh and cover with melted plastic. Just about any plastic lid such as what is on a bucket of paint or sheet rock compound will work for filling holes or repairing cracks. I had a tree limb about 4 inches in diameter fall through the top of my yak several yrs. ago and repaired it this way with no problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pic didn't come through

I tried to look at your pic yesterday, Solo, but was unable to view it. Can you upload it again? And my kayak does have the insert you mention. I think the one I bought is the 2014 model. Supposedly a student had purchased it just 2 months or so before but then needed to sell it to pay rent and tuition.

If you look at the pic in my post you would put the PVC below the collar shown and just cut the length you need. Since you do not have a collar just make something to keep the pipe from going into the scupper hole. Depending on the year of your PA 12 the newer models have a insert in the scupper to prevent cracking the scupper and getting a leak.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.