NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening, swampin' and I recalled that some fishermen talk of a species of fish in North Carolina named the "largemouth bass" and set out to see if this was indeed true. All jokes aside, he and I have both had our share of bass in the past, but as time wore on, we became more and more distracted by the many species we had not been exposed to. Speaking for myself, I had lost the bass fervor that inspired the name "basswrangler".

We got on the water at 5:30 pm or so, met by waves of heat from a warm "spring" day. I was almost overwhelmed, having never fished Harris myself. After no luck in some hydrilla and lily pad cover, we moved to a point and began to fish some curly tailed zoom and culprit worms, Carolina rigged at about 20 inches between hook and sinker. Cody's 10 inch worm produced quickly, while I suffered from the angst that comes from getting bites but failing to hook up.

As the evening wore on, we slid up into a pond of sorts created by a thick hydrilla bed, where Cody caught a very optimistic but small bass that we didn't even bother to take a picture of. On our way out, I connected with what was surely a 19 pound bass (I didn't catch it, so prove me wrong ), but an overly loosened drag, a bad hook set, and a couple of expletives were all that came of it.

At this point, I was feeling insignificant, beginning to deal with the shame of what I thought was going to be a true skunk. Then we drifted back over the point from earlier, and things changed.... 6 bass total between the 2 of us, 5 off of that point! (In all fairness, only. 2 were mine). A couple of these were caught on consecutive casts by each of us, swampin' may have more pics to add. It's safe to say, there will be a rickety old canoe out on Harris tomorrow morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
You guys need jobs lol.
Or rich wives!

I read once that you can marry more money in five minutes than you can make in a lifetime. Mack is the only one I know that seemed to have known that instinctively. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I envy you, I've been wanting on for a while! Haha we both have restaurant jobs so we get the odd morning or evening off and take off somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iffin' anybody works at Holt's Lake Bar-B-Que and will bring stuff they got a seat in my canoe! White Swan and you get to paddle but same deal.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Ha I wasn't saying you guys need a boat! You just been wearing them out lately. I'm a kayak fisherman and plan on staying that way.
Eventually you will come over to the dark side I'd wager. 119's go on sale twice a year.....................

Oh my goodness $699 for a personal self propelled plastic watercraft who in their right minds would buy that :cool: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Town-Cano...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00S2I9SGO

They come up for under 400 a lot......................give it a go. ;)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Round two today! Got to the water at six for a morning bite that was disappointing. Not a bite till 7:30 when we got into them on a shallow rock bank. Pulled two in on a black spinnerbait within a few feet of shore. Jacob landed one on a Carolina rig in some shallow hydrilla and I pulled a small one out of a very shallow "farm pond" as we call cut off pockets deep in the hydrilla.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Eventually you will come over to the dark side I'd wager. 119's go on sale twice a year.....................

Oh my goodness $699 for a personal self propelled plastic watercraft who in their right minds would buy that :cool: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Town-Cano...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00S2I9SGO

They come up for under 400 a lot......................give it a go. ;)
That's a version I haven't seen yet. I like the seat better and it could be my eyes but does the seat look forward of the Dick's model? Same dimensions of course but kinda looks 119 after a seat mod.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
That's a version I haven't seen yet. I like the seat better and it could be my eyes but does the seat look forward of the Dick's model? Same dimensions of course but kinda looks 119 after a seat mod.

Not sure first time I saw it That seat bracket is mod friendly!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Last time I was on the Neuse one of the Tuscarora Indians paddled up to me, grunted, and nodded toward my kayak signaling he wanted it. I laughed and paddled off. I looked back as the gap widened between my trident 13 and his bark canoe. He had a look of pure astonishment on his face as he realized the efficiency of my double bladed carbon paddle, saw my array of rod holders, and my ingenious anchor trolley. I felt a bit sorry for him but soon quit worrying about it...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.