NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out this morning again seeking topwater action. Tried 3 different spots not even a strike. Decided for the last hour to go work a bridge and had a nice swipe on a buzz bait but I forgot to check the trailer hook and missed the fish since trailer was upside down Started tossing a senko under the bridge and and managed a dink under it.

Decided it was time to get out of the sun and went to another sort of shady spot. Took my light tackle and worked a little jig yielding a small bream. After releasing it realized I should have tied it on a hook and see if I could entice a big bass. Decided to try the red eye shad and went back to the winter pattern of letting if drop for a count of 7 and a very slow retrieve with tip held high. About the fifth toss no more than 15 feet from shore SLAM I can see the outline of the fish run away from shore with lure so know its a goodie. It starts taking drag like mad and I even loosened the drag since it was a tad tight. Fish went airborne a few times and I realized on second jump it must have the lure in its mouth swallowed since all I am seeing is my line.

A few more jumps and runs and tugs and pull ins I finally wear the beast out and now when I get it to lip it I am like were the heck will I grab it with out getting hook in my fingers. See one pic it had one set of trebles on top and other lodged deeper in throat.

First trebles came out easy but second set were down deeper but was able to wriggle it free ( fish is dirty in second pic since after I got it released of hooks it wiggled like mad and fell out of my hands.

Got it weighed in at 5.75 pounds and than gently released it. For a little bit it wasn't doing much so I just held it up nicely and moved it around in the water a little. Finally got its air and bearings started to flutter tail so off I released it and it started swimming slowly away. I think once it realized it was free it took off back out into the deeper parts so looks like it recovered nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Spidey, you're the man! Every other day you are posting great reports and photos! I am always pumped up just to read your fishing tales and check out a few pictures. Here is one of quite a few I caught today while out rowing around on one of my local lakes. I caught all of my fish today using zoom lizards on downed timber with deeper water. Figured I would share a little as well.
Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spidey, you're the man! Every other day you are posting great reports and photos! I am always pumped up just to read your fishing tales and check out a few pictures. Here is one of quite a few I caught today while out rowing around on one of my local lakes. I caught all of my fish today using zoom lizards on downed timber with deeper water. Figured I would share a little as well.
Ben
thanx I try to fish as much as I can. I love catching anything but nailing these beasts always gets my heart pumping and that's a good thing!

Reactions: tallastro

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Congrats on a nice fish. Looking forward to an increase in the pics and reports..

Darrell

·
Registered
48 Posts
Headed out this morning again seeking topwater action. Tried 3 different spots not even a strike. Decided for the last hour to go work a bridge and had a nice swipe on a buzz bait but I forgot to check the trailer hook and missed the fish since trailer was upside down Started tossing a senko under the bridge and and managed a dink under it.

Decided it was time to get out of the sun and went to another sort of shady spot. Took my light tackle and worked a little jig yielding a small bream. After releasing it realized I should have tied it on a hook and see if I could entice a big bass. Decided to try the red eye shad and went back to the winter pattern of letting if drop for a count of 7 and a very slow retrieve with tip held high. About the fifth toss no more than 15 feet from shore SLAM I can see the outline of the fish run away from shore with lure so know its a goodie. It starts taking drag like mad and I even loosened the drag since it was a tad tight. Fish went airborne a few times and I realized on second jump it must have the lure in its mouth swallowed since all I am seeing is my line.

A few more jumps and runs and tugs and pull ins I finally wear the beast out and now when I get it to lip it I am like were the heck will I grab it with out getting hook in my fingers. See one pic it had one set of trebles on top and other lodged deeper in throat.

First trebles came out easy but second set were down deeper but was able to wriggle it free ( fish is dirty in second pic since after I got it released of hooks it wiggled like mad and fell out of my hands.

Got it weighed in at 5.75 pounds and than gently released it. For a little bit it wasn't doing much so I just held it up nicely and moved it around in the water a little. Finally got its air and bearings started to flutter tail so off I released it and it started swimming slowly away. I think once it realized it was free it took off back out into the deeper parts so looks like it recovered nicely.
Thats a fat hog molly! Always love your stories.
Been too hot lately for me or the fish I guess, maybe I need to try some deeper water?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a fat hog molly! Always love your stories.
Been too hot lately for me or the fish I guess, maybe I need to try some deeper water?
Last night only action was topwater got two one dink and one about a pound or so. Tried a deep running crank slow not a hot but was working some new spots with the waders and sweated my arse off. Need to hold off on waders till weather cools

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I forgot to check the trailer hook and missed the fish since trailer was upside down.
And I thought I was alone. At least I now know it may not be the early stages of alzheimers. :eek:

Nice catch and story. As BennyB already said, always look forward to your interesting reports.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts