NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our trip began at 4:30 am and much to my surprise...everyone was on time! We were able to get to the bait shop in time and grab some much anticipated herring or "striper gold". We then set out for our search of them. We met Greenmonster at the bait shop and from the boat ramp started out together.

After a cold ride down river, we settled in at the spot. Within 5 minutes...FISH ON!! My father-in-law wins again this week as first to catch! We had another gentleman with us that had never caught a striper and soon enough he was reeling in his first. All-in-all, we caught 20 stripers and the same in catfish. We could have left by 9 am and been happy. But, we had plenty of herring so we fished out our bait.

Another great trip down the Roanoke (my second this year). I can't wait for next years season!

Btw, Greenmonster I enjoyed meeting you and hope we can fish together again my friend!

Water Smile Vertebrate Hat Fisherman
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Smile Outdoor recreation
Food Seafood Ingredient Fish Cuisine
Cloud Sky Khaki pants Plant Fish

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you catch/keep these fish today (5/4)? If so, keep in mind that the keeper season ended yesterday (5/3) so it's all catch and release from now on. Just food for thought.
No I did not catch them today (5/4). Keep in mind that I know this is a public forum and would not post a report about harvesting/or harvest fish illegally. With that said, I would also not fish in waters that I did not know the rules. I also realize that my report did not include a day...which was Saturday (5/2). They were checked by the man himself leaving the landing. Thanks for the concern and sorry for the confusion. Greenmonster can confirm this.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Nice job on the striper! Ive never been to Weldon and was thinking of making a trip sometime soon. Would you mind sharing info on the bait shop? Name, location and opening time? Id like to call ahead and made sure they have herring.

·
Registered
339 Posts
There anywhere you can catch these from the bank? I've been looking at getting into some but do not yet have a boat. PM's are welcome and any info shared is confidential.
Lots of places. Try the public docks and piers in Williamston, the pier at the NC Wildlife Ramp in Jamesville, the waterfront in Washington, or the public docks and piers behind Plymouth. Lots of fish harvested in all of those places and many more as well.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Nice job on the striper! Ive never been to Weldon and was thinking of making a trip sometime soon. Would you mind sharing info on the bait shop? Name, location and opening time? Id like to call ahead and made sure they have herring.
turtlestew, the bait shop is off the 95 exit when you are going to Weldon. It will be on your left as you are making your way towards downtown Weldon. It is not even really a bait shop, more like a shed with a big water tank outside. I doubt they have a phone but I bet you could call Capt Rod Thomas aka Captain Ponytail, and he could tell you. I usually see him there when I stop by. They actually sell very small live herring or shad there to use as bait. Keep in mind that it is illegal to use herring greater than 6 inches in length (*I think that is the right length) above the 258 bridge (Scotland Neck) on the river. Single barbless hooks in that stretch of the river as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There anywhere you can catch these from the bank? I've been looking at getting into some but do not yet have a boat. PM's are welcome and any info shared is confidential.

In Hamilton, beside the wildlife ramp there is a small pier and I always see people there fishing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.