NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I have been checking the CF up near Lock & Dam #1 closely as I've been working in that area. Nothing yet but guys have been out trying. I think that warm rain we had Friday morning will help. I'm thinking they will be there this week.

Light tackle for sure but don't forget the medium stuff for the stripers that usually are with the shad and the heavier stuff for the blue catfish that hang out below waiting for a meal as well.

It can be a three for one deal if you play your cards right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got a question, haven't fished for shad since I lived in PA in we would fish the Delaware, and never really had any luck, going back 20 yrs. I moved to raleigh late last year and I am trying all sorts of new fishing down here so why not go back to something I remember as a kid...Now that I got kids is there anywhere with in a 1/2 hour or so that I could take my kids and let them have a shot or do I need to run closer to the coast...

Thanks

Green envy

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
green envy,
I've never fished for shad, but recently heard that they make it as far up as the Milburnie dam on the Neuse River, somewhere on the east side of Raleigh. The guy that mentioned it runs the Paddle Creek Kayak, Canoe & Fly shop on the Neuse at the Falls Lake Dam. You might keep an eye out for reports on paddlecreeknc.com, or give them a call at the shop.

·
Registered
95 Posts
green envy-
Take the kids to Rocky Mount for shad fishing, rock climbing, and a history tour. The Tar River has a dam at Battle Park off highway 64. Shad migrating from the ocean can advance no further and congregate below the dam. Piers exist for bank fishermen. Native American fished this spot thousands of years ago. Let the kids climb the giant boulders in the park as my kids did when we lived there. Make some memories.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.