NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flow I fished this morning is small ... creek small. Smaller than the Eno, may be smaller than Crabtree. Some may call it "skinny". Access is tough (my usual type of haunt) and the fishing was great. This was yet another new peice of water for me. I heard the pickerel were thick in this stretch, and that'd be a true statement.

I launched around 6:15. On my ~1 mile paddle up, I caught 8 chain pickerel on a buzzbait and fluke, no bass. I probably missed 6 pickerel as well. Nothing huge landed, but most between 20 and 22".

On my return, I caught 15 bass on a Rebel Jumping Minnow (high pitch spook type lure), and one pickerel. Again, nothing huge, but a good collection of bass with the best 3 at 53" total.

I hooked a ~17" bass, and when fighting it I noticed another larger fish chasing it and attempting to eat the lure. I played the fish for 10 seconds or so and the other bass got hooked. Unfortunately, the smaller fish got off, but I did land the larger fish (18").

Yikes! Looks like I need some sleep.

The most surprising thing was that I didn't have to get out of the boat for my entire paddle, yet the average depth was probably 18" with no holes deeper than ~6'.

Throw in a dozen redbrest (some pretty large) and I had myself another fine morning on the river. Out at 10:30 and home by 11:30.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim, this wasn't the non-stop action of the last outing, but it was quite steady. Particularly for one hole that produced 3 fish in 3 casts.

This adventure necessitated my canoe cart to navigate to the river, then a 10 yard drag over large boulders to get into the first pool. Once there, it was smooth paddling. That cart is well worth the investment.

I'd be surprised if this section had been fished from a boat more than 3 times in 10 years. It's probably only accessed by kayakers in high water.

-Jeff

·
Registered
704 Posts
Jim, this wasn't the non-stop action of the last outing, but it was quite steady. Particularly for one hole that produced 3 fish in 3 casts.

This adventure necessitated my canoe cart to navigate to the river, then a 10 yard drag over large boulders to get into the first pool. Once there, it was smooth paddling. That cart is well worth the investment.

Sounds like my kind of place. I drag and cart and sweat a lot. Worth it to find good water that's unpressured.

I'd be surprised if this section had been fished from a boat more than 3 times in 10 years. It's probably only accessed by kayakers in high water.

-Jeff
Sounds like my kind of place, Jeff. I drag and cart and sweat a lot, but happy to do so

·
Registered
242 Posts
Awesome! Man this post is making me question the sanity of my recent kayak post in the classifieds :confused:. I'm definitely not squeezing a Boston Whaler in that creek. How do you guys find these "flows" ??? I rarely even do this well on the big lakes.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Google/Bing maps, drive to the potential access point, put your boat in the water and go explore. Once you find a flow that has a good section, chances are the other sections will be good too. You start to pick up on the features that make it good (e.g. tough or limited access, long pools in between rocky shoals, low silt, good clarity even during mild rain events, etc etc)

-Jeff

·
Registered
242 Posts
Google/Bing maps, drive to the potential access point, put your boat in the water and go explore. Once you find a flow that has a good section, chances are the other sections will be good too. You start to pick up on the features that make it good (e.g. tough or limited access, long pools in between rocky shoals, low silt, good clarity even during mild rain events, etc etc)

-Jeff
I have eyed some on google maps here but never tried them. Those are great tips about the access, low silt, and clarity, etc. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.