NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone who just purchased an Adventure Island contacted the state to see if they should register it. The state claims that because it is 16ft long and powered by a sale it has to be registered. I called them to clarify this and the girl who answered the phone was a typical government clerk. She wanted me to attach a wooden board to each side of the front of my kayak in order to put three-inch numbers. According to my calculations those plaques would have to be 4" x 25" each. I told her that under no circumstances would I be drilling holes in my hull for their numbers. She then referred me to the enforcement division where I talked to a captain. He seemed to understand that the Adventure Island is a hybrid. I explained that the A.I.'s profile is too low in the water for anyone to see any numbers and if the marine police tried to pull up and tie up to me they may cause more problems. And also where would I keep the registration so that it would be available at all times, yet not get wet. I told him that I would meet he and whoever he wanted to bring at whatever lake they wanted me to come to so that I could show them that there is no way that I could put numbers on my kayak . Even if I put them on the top of the hull they would be covered over by my new splash shield. He seemed to be sympathetic and understood that we are in uncharted waters and that someone is going to have to make a decision. He said he would talk to his superiors and get back with me. The Capt I talked to today seemed to have good judgment and common sense. I want to be legal and comply with their requirements..... as long as they make sense, and I do not have to damage my hull. If some yahoo becomes a jerk over the whole matter I'm willing to go to court. I hope someone in power wakes up and has some common sense:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Some other states require registrations. If you mount your registration #'s to a plaque, does the plaque need to be permanently attached, or could you display the plaque in the tankwell? Or, in your case, could you display them on the sail? Or maybe paint them on the outriggers?

I'm not trying to talk you into defacing your beautiful craft, by any means... But it sounds like you've found one person who's willing to consider the case for its merits, so depending on how the discussions go, there might be some room to get creative...

Good luck

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They want it on both sides of the bow. They want it visable to other boaters. I suggested the sail if they can point me to letters that are plyable enough to furl around the mast along with the sail. At least I am talking to them. If I'm stopped I want to be able to tell the officers that we are working on it. Apparently, they told the other A.I. owner that the fine will be $150.00. This is going to be worked out. If this were Maryland then I would feel confident that I might have some input. But nobody knows me here so I need to have a different strategy.... In the end I want to do the right thing.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I've got a similar story. I looked into taking my kayak to Ohio on vacation. Ohio law requires ALL vessels to be registered and display their numbers. I could not find a provision in their regulations for an out-of-state kayak whose state did not require registrations. Exchanged some email with the DNR who's final suggestion was that I fall under the 60-day rule - you have 60 days from when you bring a vessel into Ohio from another state to register that boat in Ohio. As long as I'm not on vacation for 60 days, I'll technically never have to register. It was their own suggestion for working around poorly written regulations, so I'll go with it, but it doesn't give me great confidence. I'll be carrying a copy of that email with me in case I ever get stopped by the locals.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I wonder if you have room on the bow to afix a length of plexiglass or lexan with the numbers on each side so they are visable from either side and attach that with 2 small "L" brackets in the center of the bow parallel with the length of the kayak? Only downside I see ( if it will fit ) is that it will catch the wind a bit and act like a rudder but you can drill it full of holes to help lessen the wind drag...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Rest assured that now that the can of worms has been opened that once they figure out that this will be a substantial revenue generator and how to implement it, it will become a requirement. It is all about the revenue and as much as I love my great home state they are one of the worst for impementing anything they can to generate revenue.

Some things are best left alone!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
"substantial revenue generator" -- my, you have high hopes for Hobie sales!

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
871 Posts
As many yakers as there are on NCangler alone it would be enough to fund the NCWC for six months!.............LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
There are quite a few paddlers, but only one that has a sail, and we've still got to check to see whether he meets the 16' rule. So far I've only met one other fellow with a sail on his yak, and his isn't even "nominally" 16 feet.

I think most of the folks who put gas or electric motors on their canoes (or inflatables) currently expect to bear registration numbers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just found out its a 14' rule. I'll just wait for them to tell me thier decision and comply. If they make me put the numbers on the front they will have to stick to the top. Not my problem if the marine police cant see them because of the splash cover. Think about it. How are they going to pull up along side of me when my ama(outrigger) sticks out 5'? If they try they would put me in jail after I finished telling them off.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
What was the verdict on temporary versus permanent attachment schemes? Can you use some rough equivalent of the car dealers' magnet-mount license plates? You could tuck a reg-number plaque under the bow bungees on the occasions you intend to use the sail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hmmmmm, sounds like one of those "It is better to ask forgiveness than ask for permission" deals. I'm sure most game warden dudes could care less and aren't going to break open their 16' or 14' tape measure on a kayak dude. He is more likely to have his 14" tape measure to measure your Flounder you just caught. I would just paddle free man and wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
They need to make an exception for low lying craft, like having to registration stickers on both sides. That way the state gets the revenue they wanted and you wouldn't have invent some contraption to fit their laws. Motorcycles have alternate rules than cars don't they?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm tell'n ya boys.........it's all about the revenue. As long as they get your $15-$30 or what ever it is for that 10 cent worth of decals, that's all their interested in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What Vessels Must be Titled? [/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anyone who purchases or transfers a motorized vessel or sailboat 14 feet or longer or who owns a personal watercraft (jet ski), will be required to title the vessel effective Jan.1, 2007. In most cases, lenders require a title as a condition for granting a loan on a vessel. [/FONT]

·
Registered
15 Posts
[FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana]Registration/Documentation:[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana]All vessels operated on the waters of North Carolina must be numbered except:[/FONT]
Sailboats not over 14 ft. in length at the load waterline

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
That reads pretty clear to me.. Over 14 w/ a sail you have to register. period.. Bummer.....:(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
In Glenn's case, yes, it seems clear, at least when operating under the sail's power. For most kayaks and canoes, though, the two statements contradict each other.

The first quote requires registration for "motorized vessels and sailboats 14' or longer", and all "personal watercraft (jet ski)". Standard paddle-powered kayaks and canoes of any length do not fall into this version of the requirement. (It's unclear whether the 14' length qualification applies to motorized vessels in addition to sailboats, or is it all motorized vessels regardless of length, and all sailboats 14' or longer? It may have been sailboarders who got the 14' exclusion added -- talk about no hull above the waterline!!)

The second quote requires registration for "all vessels... except sailboats not over 14' in length". Standard paddle-powered kayaks and canoes DO fall into this version of the requirement, again, regardless of length.

Now back to real life. In order to practically require registration for "all vessels", this would not only apply to fishing kayaks and canoes, but also the entire whitewater paddling industry in the state. The whitewater paddling folks do not appear to be under harrassment for registering their vessels. I don't intend to worry about it until I start thinking about upgrading my kayak.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.