NC Angler Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard to complain when you go home with a limit of trout, a 23 , 2-21s and a19 1/2 . Here goes , Saturday I saw more more disrespect and greed than I care to have.
First if someone is catching fish , keep your distance, with braid casts are long. Stay a minimum of two long casts away. The end of your cast to the end of his or hers. He was there first .
second when places crowd up there is an oppurtunity for you to slide off and find you some fish. Trout are skittish fish and too much commotion will spook them.
which brings me to three, trout don't like the loud outboard motor cut them off, troll up to the spot you want to fish four Don't motor over where someone is casting! Most guys will point you which way to go around if your not smart enough to figure it out on your own. I had my bow pointed towards shore standing on the very front in a wide part of a creek, I guess the two different boats thought I was casting over the console and the motor.
Quit being greedy, if it chaps you that bad to see someone else catch a couple fish, go to counseling.
Put your big girl panties on and be respectful

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Relax and enjoy this beautiful Sunday. Sounds like you had an awesome day(other than the crazy other boats) and took some meat to the house!
Actually I gave them to a guy from Wilson, the day before he hooked my boat to the trailer for me without asking him. He said between the 3 in his group they had 8 and he seemed like a really nice guy

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Too many motor boats in one place chafes my hide.
too many "any" kind of boats chaps mine. I've had kayakers and canoes come paddling right through my holes too. Good thing is with no motor they heard EXACTLY what I said..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah I think if you decide to fish a "community hole" you pretty much have to take the good with the bad. It actually gets on my nerves more when somebody thinks they own a spot when the place is a parking lot.

It also gets on my nerves when someone is casting right through a common cut-through or channel and gives you dirty looks when you motor through (slowly). Again, if you decide to fish there, you need to realize that is going to happen.

Where I fish, during trout season, there are pretty much a few common spots where boats congregate. In my limited experience, most folks are pretty respectful both ways - i.e. they don't get too close, or if you do get close (because there is no other choice other than leaving the spot entirely), they make it work. I think as long as you are not obnoxious it is OK. Also, if the trout are there and they are feeding, it does not seem to matter how many boats come through or at what speed. But that does not happen (with me) very often.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had this happen to me and my wife on Saturday and Sunday Morning. We actually were boxed out of a couple of spots we were in (by the same boat! both days!). I am too passive for confrontation. I actually don't mind too much if someone gets close to me as long as they keep a respectful distance. I try to keep a respectful distance as well. I do like the unwritten rule of 2 cast lengths. I will keep that in mind if i ever feel i am getting too close to someone who is sitting on a spot. Sometimes i feel like people like to get close to me to see what i am using, especially if i am catching fish, which is often ;). I think the only time i get real close to another boat is if it is a friend or relative and we want to talk and fish together for a few min.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
the places i fish there is never no one else around !!!!!

I've replaced the rattles in all your baits with GPS trackers. I will have the numbers for auction to the highest bidder Dec 24th

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Toddsurfs, I feel you're pain.
Yesterday it seemed like every boat with folks looking for oysters had to run, full throttle, throwing off big wakes right passed us.

Didn't stop us from a hot bite of SPIKES. ....... ICM

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Yeah I think if you decide to fish a "community hole" you pretty much have to take the good with the bad. It actually gets on my nerves more when somebody thinks they own a spot when the place is a parking lot.

It also gets on my nerves when someone is casting right through a common cut-through or channel and gives you dirty looks when you motor through (slowly). Again, if you decide to fish there, you need to realize that is going to happen.

Where I fish, during trout season, there are pretty much a few common spots where boats congregate. In my limited experience, most folks are pretty respectful both ways - i.e. they don't get too close, or if you do get close (because there is no other choice other than leaving the spot entirely), they make it work. I think as long as you are not obnoxious it is OK. Also, if the trout are there and they are feeding, it does not seem to matter how many boats come through or at what speed. But that does not happen (with me) very often.
Definitely a two way street. Since all our inshore water is public, every spot is a "community hole" to some degree. That doesn't mean people should crowd others. I got an ear full paddling down near Swansboro one time because I had taken a route through really skinny water and at one point I had to pass pretty close to someone's spot or backtrack over a mile to go around. I gave him as much space as I could and tried to glide quietly by making as small a disturbance as possible, but he was greatly displeased and let me know about it. But I wasn't going to paddle all the way back and take a different route. Besides, there may have been another boat that had staked a claim somewhere else along the tiny channel after I passed.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
All these user conflicts, yet there are groups that hide behind the guise of coastal conservation whose agenda is directed at attracting more and more users with the end game of more $$$$$ as a goal.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I don't think the issue being discussed here is a result of too many people out there. It is people crowding when there is plenty of space in some situations and people feeling crowded when they try to carve out an oversized spot or a spot on a navigable route in others. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I guess the definition of sportsman is open to multiple interpretations. There are some folks out there that might suggest that a true sportsman would practice catch and release, and they would be infuriated by the fact that the OP was harvesting fish.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.