NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have the plans on the way for a 15' 32" sit on top kayak on the way.
The Wadefish is a self bailing kayak designed for ocean going fishing as well as flats fishing as it's easy to get in and out of. The Wadefish surfs pretty good which puts a plus in the beach launching column.

I was seriously contemplating putting a mirage drive in this boat, but have decided I would rather have a console instead and invest in a good paddle.
The bow is the highest part of the craft with the bow cover slanted to both starboard and port to route wave water off the sides rather than into the cockpit. The body of the kayak gets progressively lower to the water to the stern like a traditional ocean or surfing yak which helps keep wind steerage down.

This will be my 3rd JEM watercraft build.

I'll start by making patterns out of some quality plywood. Get the pattern just right and then I can zip the actual parts out with a router pronto.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=WF15-32

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on how far you want to go with it.
Materials to build the hull will run around 600 without shipping.
You have consumables which I didn't include like mixing cups, stir sticks, latex gloves by the box, your finish materials whether it's paint or spar varnish. You also have things like wood flour and cabosil which are used to thicken epoxy.

Then you have the rigging. A rudder if you want it. Some people make their own, others will buy rudder systems.
Realistically I could put a mirage drive in it and a rudder system and come in somewhere around 15-1600 if I shop.

I stock all of the consumables so those I won't have to buy. I have probably half the glass left over from another project.
These boats are stitch and glue. Pretty simple to build. Plans are CAD and they are easy to lay out on your plywood.
The Wadefish is not a beginner boat but I have seen stone cold beginners to boat building build them and do a great job.

The beauty of stitch and glue is that it doesn't require precise wood working skills. Gaps are good. You need gaps as that is where the epoxy goes that hold it together.

The plywood I prefer to use sells in NC for 50 a sheet. 4mm (3/16") Okoume marine plywood 14 -15 pounds a sheet. This is a 5 sheet boat but I'll order 6.

This yak will come in 35-40% lighter than a like roto molded yak if you pay attention to weight and don't unnecessarily use epoxy and glass. You have to trust the designer. More is not always better. Lighter is going to make it easier to paddle long distances and more maneuverable.
One reason I build my own boats is for efficiency whether it's a power boat or a paddle boat. Plus, if I break it, I know how to fix it because I built it. It's also easier to outfit because you plan for things all along during the construction. You are never stuck with what you got.

For fish ready I'm allocating 1400 for it.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
plans say 60-80 hours of build time plus materials lol price would be way up there.
Build time is called sweat equity.
It will take many more hours to build it. The hours listed are for actual hands on time. It doesn't include the time it takes to crush the dead ones (beer cans).

Building for yourself as opposed to building for someone is a huge difference. This is a 4,000 dollar build if you built to sell all day long which is why I pattern every plan I build. If I reproduce it, all I have to do is call the designer and pay for a duplication license for each additional hull I build.

·
Registered
940 Posts
That is just... Awesome! my problem is I would spend another 40-60 hrs doing a custom pain job :D

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is just... Awesome! my problem is I would spend another 40-60 hrs doing a custom pain job :D
That's why I use the expensive plywood. Theoretically you could build it out of luan or even pine plywood. The problem is you might save on the front end but you wind up spending more on the back end fairing it out (body work) getting it ready to paint.
In the boat building world that is referred to as a false economy.

The expensive plywoods being that they have no voids will make smooth bends whereas a piece of luan or pine will curve nicely, then you get a 2" flat spot then it curves nicely again. it's not consistent. Then add in the fact, that cheaper wood is heavier.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those not familiar with JEM Watercraft, Matt Langenfeld owns and operates JEM out of Greensboro. Internet only.

Darrell, most certainly. I learned how to build boats off the internet initially. Hours of reading and looking at others progress on their projects. When I built my first power boat, a center console, I had never laid a piece of glass or used this type of epoxy in my life. Since that time I have had the pleasure of talking to designers and boat builders all over the world to hone my skills and learn about new materials. It's been 16 years. Time flies.

One of my goals has always been to share. To show people that it's not difficult and doesn't require thousands of dollars worth of tools. You can build a boat with a jig saw and a cordless drill however it's nice to have orbital sanders, chop saws, table saws, routers etc. But it's not needed. Those items just may speed the process some.

These are great winter projects if you have heated space.
I don't know when I'll start this build exactly yet. I would like to get started right away if I can get some other projects moved along. I will start within the next week or two cutting my patterns which is just something I do. Not required. I pattern all my small boats and store the patterns.

For those wondering where to obtain marine plywood. World Panel NC. It's where the majority of marine plywood originates in the market place along the eastern seaboard.
So if you know a local dealer, he probably gets his at World Panel NC. They are in NC and Florida to support boat building industry.

If you want pricing just go to their website, pick your product, fill out your shopping cart info all the way to the end so you can get your shipping costs. Then bail out.
within 5 days you'll get a phone call from them with them explaining they saw where you were interested in some wood. They are calling to drop the price.

Last year I needed 5 sheets of 3/4 1088 Meranti. It was 115.00 a sheet. I got a call the next morning and they told me they were out of it but they would substitute with Sapele for the same price. Sapele was running 230.00 a sheet at the time.
So they will deal.
Last week they offered to sell me 5 sheets for this boat at the cost of 4.

Delivery is steep. 125 bucks to me. But it's cheaper than taking off work and burning the gas to go after it.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
What's a build like this run money wise?
Depends on how far you want to go with it.
Materials to build the hull will run around 600 without shipping.
A shoestring budget build is possible, but you won't end up with as nice of a boat. I had about $100 in this:
Wood Font Gas Tints and shades Art
Luaun doorskin, glass tape only at the seams (not sheathed), exterior latex paint from from the "bad mix" bin. If you look close you can see what DR is talking about with low quality materials. The sides are cut the same, but it isn't truly symmetric because they didn't bend the same.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Opti, I just want you to know, our back and forth banter has inspired me to build this yak. 3 weeks ago, I had no intentions of building another small boat this year. So, I haven't met you and you are costing me quite a bit of change. That's 3 surf outfits I could have bought. Maybe you can ride a piece of 220 grit for a day to help end what you got started.

Plus you are probably going to need some company over the bar at my fishing hole.
It'll be next year though.

Seat shopping now..............

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
220? House paint will level over 120 just fine. :D

You're not far away. Let me know when you get materials and maybe we can do a work day. After I built that pirogue I built a little round bottom dinghy and I had the fever and thought I would keep building boats but I really don't have the space and haven't had the time.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We aint paintin bro. Varnish over epoxy and glass. You are going to be looking at the grain of that expensive plywood while you fish.
When you unload at the yak ramp.....necks start stretching. That high gloss Epifanes spar varnish popping. People start putting on their shades.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I know; I was just joking. Oddly enough, I actually considered not painting the pirogue. The luaun boards can look nice if you pick through the pile. The red side on some of them can be stunning. It's pretty much the same wood as meranti. But glass work is not my strong suit and the taped seams needed paint badly. I will likely require some supervision to meet your production quality standards...

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can stain too. You just have to use a water based stain so it doesn't mess with the epoxy.
Gotta hit the hospital to see my mother in ICU before work.
I'll jaw at yall later this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She has been in for 2 weeks come Monday. She went septic but is expected to recover. It's just not going to happen over night.
Thanks for the support.

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
My dad had a second colon surgery after the first leaked. He became septic and was in the ICU for 14 days. He had to go to the re-hab/rest home for another 8 weeks but he has recovered enough to come home now. I hope her recovery is much quicker. Please keep us informed as to her progress as well.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We were told last week she would be transferred to a rehab at some point.
It's already been a long 2 weeks. Like riding a never ending roller coaster.
My shop is not in my backyard for a reason. It's across the road down in the bottom of a field. An old terracotta tobacco barn. A war ration tobacco barn. Terracotta tile was about the only thing not rationed.

My shop's name is Therapy. I go over there, crank up the satellite radio, wash the car, fix a boat, build some boats, and drink beer. My world. Far enough away from home to not be bothered with trivial matters yet close enough for the important things.
I'll probably spend the weekend in therapy.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts