NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my parents came into town this morning. Picked them up from the airport, got some lunch, loaded the boat and hit the river with my dad. Nows its my turn to take him fishing.

We were greeted with a stiff NE wind that sent the river into a chop that made it difficult to fish. My love for top water fishing probably hindered our success as well.

Several blow ups occurred throughout the evening. Not sure if the chop makes it harder for the trout to hit but none actually connected and after awhile switched to jigs and mirrolures. He was able to hook a few small reds and I picked up a couple flounder. No keepers but its ok, still got to fish with my dad which is more important than anything.

What do you find to be successful when the wind kicks up and the water gets choppy? I know the fish are there, getting the to strike and connect is a different story.

I have the next week off and we plan on fishing in the area everyday. Today was upper New River. We will mostly be in this area, as well as the topsail area both inshore, surf and pier. Hopefully I can put up a few pics later in the week.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely hard to put the top water down, that's for sure. I slowed it down after they kept missing but it didn't seem to help much. Some of the fish weren't even close

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Curious. Why would they only want topwater on a chopped up windy day. Why not a MR17, plastic or XR8?
Just trying to learn something here.
To be honest with you I don't know but yesterday we tossed 17's, popping corks with shrimp, and soft plastics on jig heads but the only thing that caught a legal trout was Topwater. Even the Topwater bite was very soft and subtle. A couple fish didn't even blow up on it. They just kind of pulled the plug down. A friend of mine fishing not far from where we were caught them on 17's. He couldn't buy a Topwater bite. Go figure...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the last few days have been tough fishing wise. First, I owe trigger22 a huge thanks for getting myself and my dad out on the water yesterday for old drum. While the fish didn't exactly cooperate, we both learned something new and more importantly had a great time. He's extremely knowledgeable and has a great set up for the type of fishing up there on the lower neuse.

Sunday we got out for a few hours and it was a lot calmer. Pressed for time because we got on the water late we didn't do a lot of moving and was only able to catch a couple blues before sundown.

Today we are just waiting out the rain. It is supposed to stop soon but I have my doubts. If not tonight then hopefully tomorrow morning if the weather cooperates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.