NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread was OptiMystic's idea but I thought I'd get it started.
If there was ever a fish where there's no need to be secretive about locations and tactics it's the lowly white perch so let's share what we know here.

I'll start off with a question: We've been hitting them at the break-O-day but has anyone noticed if they blitz in the evening as well?

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I have seen them schooling in the evenings on the surface, as well as calmer days when it's overcast.

Reactions: dbeam and RouseD

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
On Harris I have seen them feeding all time of day. More in the morning and evening. Today there was not much but there was the occasional boiling.

Ultralight rattle traps have been doing it for me. And red with chartreuse tail grub.

mikeski

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
i catch them for bait by using sabiki rigs or tying a 1 oz sinker on bottom and every 6 inched up tie a gold #6 hook...usually i use 3 and tip them with work but they will hit the plain hook also. If i am after 12 in or better fish i use a mini trao or a 1/4 oz crly tail or a live shad.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried a curly tailed grub with great action and flash and it wasn't happening. Put the same tail on a jig head with an under spinner and that worked great. I think they like the vibration of the spinner and the lipless cranks. Fishing deep under breaking fish does seem to pull somewhat larger fish. My wife caught a one pounder that way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
When I got out catting, I have catch a lot of those perch for bait. I found the better bait is small pieces of cut shad on a two hook rig. You can use it right below the boat or drag the bottom with those rigs. Lake Tillery has a huge pop of perch.Tthis year I've been catching a lot of bigger perch 7-14".

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
On Harris I have seen them feeding all time of day. More in the morning and evening. Today there was not much but there was the occasional boiling.

Ultralight rattle traps have been doing it for me. And red with chartreuse tail grub.

mikeski
+1 on the UL lipless cranks. I use a more generic/cheaper brand and they still are all over it. As much as I love my little grubs, they aren't producing as well. It's been a while since I caught a big one at SH and I used to catch them larger on average than I have this year; from my very unscientific POV, the numbers are up but size is down. Others seeing this trend or is it just my luck?

One odd thing is that my best short intervals of catching have involved little or no surface action (boiling). I will be casting blindly and might go dozens of casts without a strike and then catch 7 on the next 10 casts, then back to nothing. My guess is that this is when I am lucky enough to be in a spot with a lot of them around that are in a mood to eat but don't have a school of shad penned. The boils can be frustrating at times. In this case my guess is that some perch (a bunch, but not a huge school) have a large shad school penned and my lure is way outnumbered by live shad.

Sometimes when they slow, I will go shallower and alternate a plastic worm or other bass bait on one rod with a beetle spin on my UL. Besides the well known bass population, SH has some pretty panfish. I will often pick up the odd perch on the beetle spin in very shallow water.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
White perch boiling here on Jordan lake - yesterday between 10am and noon. All you could catch on a rooster tail in very shallow water.

Map Ecoregion Natural environment Vegetation Terrestrial plant

Chasing a one-day fishing report isn't a high-probability strategy, but they seemed pretty happy to be there. Would be interesting if somebody else got out there during similar conditions over the next few days with a report on what they find (and if conditions remain similar).

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I picked up a couple of 9' crappie rods earlier this year. They are like a fly rod for a spinning reel. They were great also for those light biting smallies in Maine. They use allot of night crawlers up there and the light action was great. I equipped them with size 20 reels with 4lb for crappies. For the smallies I went up to 25 reels with 6lb.

Anyway. I had a blast yesterday using that 9' superlight action rod with a rattletrap. Much more fun than with my 6' UL rod setup. And then there is always the possibility of latching into a nice bass now and then. Oh what fun it is to use light gear.

mikeski

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
White perch boiling here on Jordan lake - yesterday between 10am and noon. All you could catch on a rooster tail in very shallow water.

View attachment 65479

Chasing a one-day fishing report isn't a high-probability strategy, but they seemed pretty happy to be there. Would be interesting if somebody else got out there during similar conditions over the next few days with a report on what they find (and if conditions remain similar).
Nice report... That area above the bridge of course has all species found to Jordan but imo it is only an "ok" fishery at best for white bass, largemouth and crappie.(the popular ones) ....Catfish are king up there along with white perch, and bowfin. There are some nice bass up there but the rest of the lake is better. during a hot summer they will be no fish below 12 foot or so because of lack of oxygen, I doubt those aerators will have a noticable effect.

That pond below your left arrow is where i have one of my Bald cypress Stands i planted. I planted most of that stand in the early 90's. The Haw River arm of Jordan has much better fishing imho.

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mack- I've wondered about those cypress. Didn't make sense to me that they were there. There is a nice grove that I assume are native in the creek bottom on Damascus Church Rd above University Lake.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Cool about those above university....someone evidently planted those along time ago....those are out of their native range but they will grow way north and even in your front yard.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Nice report... That area above the bridge of course has all species found to Jordan but imo it is only an "ok" fishery at best for white bass, largemouth and crappie.(the popular ones) ....Catfish are king up there along with white perch, and bowfin. There are some nice bass up there but the rest of the lake is better. during a hot summer they will be no fish below 12 foot or so because of lack of oxygen, I doubt those aerators will have a noticable effect.

That pond below your left arrow is where i have one of my Bald cypress Stands i planted. I planted most of that stand in the early 90's. The Haw River arm of Jordan has much better fishing imho.
Fully agree with your assessment. I didn't find anything up there that's calling me back for "sport fishing", but I might fish deep around that bridge for cats if I was ever so inclined, which is not real likely. Scratching your head over the looks of all those aerators might be worth the trip... Still not quite sure what to make of that scene. Full trip report here

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.