NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title was for you Sam. I knew the wind was going to be ruff today. They were calling for 17mph with gust up to 30mph and they were dead on. We had a couple gust out of nowhere that almost took me off the front deck. We hit the lake around 9:30 and fished until 3:00. Water temp started at 57 and made it to 63 degrees. Cameron picked up the first fish on his 5th cast of the day on a jerk bait we ordered from Contentnea Creek Customs. This was a largest of the day and weighed right at 4lb on our scales which I am beginning to think may be weighing a little light. After that we caught 7 more with only 1 dink. My largest weighed 2.2lb but looks much larger to me. I included a picture of the dink so you can see how small this fish was compared to the lure it hit. Other than the dink all of the rest of our fish were between 2.5 and 3lbs.

7 of the 8 were caught on the Contentnea jerk bait and my largest was on a spinnerbait. Most of these fish were caught in cuts or creeks off of the main lake but close to the mouth. The fish were on wood in 2-5' of water. Most of the wood we caught fish off of was small. We only picked up 1 fish on a large lay down. We didn't have a large quantity but the quality was pretty good and catching on a jerk bait was so much fun. All in all considering the wind I was pretty happy with the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Good job on surviving the winds! I couldn't believe the gusts in my yard yesterday, and that is what I thought of: I wonder how it is on the lake. Also good job on getting them on the jerkbait. I think randleman is getting close to turning on, especially after this week of rising temps!

·
Red X Angler
3,768 Posts
Haha thanks Brady! I know people say wind can really help the fishing, and I don't mind a little light ripple on the water but I do find a hard wind frustrating. Texas rig and shakey heads are still my mainstays, and a stiff wind makes it tougher... not impossible, I still do it, but tougher and a lot more annoying - at least to me. Hats off to you guys (no pun intended) for braving the gale and getting some fish. Your pattern was what we found on Saturday, as well. Creek mouths and main lake pockets, not too far back in there, and wood cover. Congrats on the good fishing!

Reactions: jerry condrey

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree I do not mind a little wind but yesterday was tough. I felt like I had been beat up by the end of the day. We fished a jig some around lay downs. I didn't even pull a plastic out.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Sounds like a good trip, glad to hear you got into some. We fished jerkbaits some but had no luck. On Saturday it was probably blowing 15-25 and you could fish in it but it was tough, much easier to find a wind break. A couple weeks ago I went out in that 25-40 MPH wind and you had no choice but to hide.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Haha thanks Brady! I know people say wind can really help the fishing, and I don't mind a little light ripple on the water but I do find a hard wind frustrating. Texas rig and shakey heads are still my mainstays, and a stiff wind makes it tougher... not impossible, I still do it, but tougher and a lot more annoying - at least to me. Hats off to you guys (no pun intended) for braving the gale and getting some fish. Your pattern was what we found on Saturday, as well. Creek mouths and main lake pockets, not too far back in there, and wood cover. Congrats on the good fishing!
That's me too Sam. I relish a light breeze, but hard winds make it difficult to throw plastics, which I love. Plus, trying to fish and keep the boat over your lay down or stump field can be down right frustrating in a stiff wind.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
The wind is your friend no matter where you go! The stronger the wind, the heavier you go with the baits...spinner baits and rattle baits really shine in the wind, too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts