NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, we adopted the name Hardcore Kayak Fishing Team as really just an identity. The name was really given to us by a guy at the landing (the only other person crazy enough to be there that day ) He said "yall going out in them?" We said yes and he replied, "man, that`s hardcore." And it stuck. We go all year, alot, far, hard, places we shouldn`t go, think you get the idea.We are kayak fishermen but not your average ones in alot of ways. Most kayakers are a little "off" and I think most will admit that. Point is I thought it would be fun to see if anybody wanted to add some hardcore kayak stories in here. Whatever. Places,conditions ,close calls, funny stuff,the day you embarassed the Bassmaster in the $30,000 boat, whatever. I know there has to be some good ones out there.Come on guys. Sharing is caring.:rolleyes: Nobody tells a story like a fisherman.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let me see just off the top of my head story. In texas I've been out in 20-25 kts of winds on open lakes looking for runs of white bass, more then once. The same type winds in the bays of Aranass Pass looking for bull reds. Fished in the pouring rain, Fished small lakes that I've never been to in the pitch black middle of the night. Fished with temps in the 30's, fished with temps over 100 (not a good idea BTW). I think the only conditions that have kept me from fishing were thunderstroms, and I wasn't happy about calling it quits then.
As far as showing up someone who was looking down on kayaks fishing, would be my fishing buddy in Texas. He spent the night fishing, he waited till sunup for someone to take some pics of his fish. Some game wardens showed up and kind of gave him funny looks but didn't say anything about his funny little plastic boat. He asked if they could take some pics of his catch. He pulled up 2 fish one 5lbs the other 6 lbs, it got there attention. His next fish, 9 lbs. They stopped laughing. His last fish 11.5 lbs. They are kayak believers now. The best part was when he released all the fish. He told me they flipped out when he did that. They told him he was crazy, that he just released a lake record fish. He told them it was O.K. because he would just come back catch them when they got bigger. What a guy lol. I'll think of some more later.
P.S. I forgot to say those fish were Large mouth bass. Duh sorry.

I love hardcore (crazy) fishing kayakers.

Mutt

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
He pulled up 2 fish one 5lbs the other 6 lbs, it got there attention. His next fish, 9 lbs. They stopped laughing. His last fish 11.5 lbs.
I can't wait 'til I grow up and can catch fish like that....

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Gotta admit, I never thought of Kayakers as crazy. Catching the big ones is all about stealth and location. You can get into backwaters seldom fished and sneak up on your prey. Heck, If I weren't such a [email protected]$e I'd own one too!!!

Reactions: Stew-Rat

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Reactions: Stew-Rat and Mutt

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Lefty you know it`s all about location,location,location. In texas they throw back what I`d put on the wall.Sundrop there prob is a sit on top that would hold you. Still got one guy in the club that only goes in a canoe & nothin wrong with that. Haven`t gotten to check Lefty`s yet. I should be working. Still think yakkers are by nature a little wacky. Maybe it`s just the ones I know.:D I`m pretty sure Mutt needs a Hardcore sticker on his boat. The ESPN camera man at the B.A.S.S. tourney on Wylie last year told me and Capt. Ron " you guys are really brave or really stupid."They were hundreds of boats following the guys around and it is really something to see 50 bass boats round the bend at full speed and KVD leading them towards you. It was a "hole tournament" so we just stayed in one spot and waited for the guys to rotate through. When they`d stop we`d get right in there with them. By the way I told the camera man "no, we`re just that good."
I have paddled beside most of the top guys and one day paddled with Gary Klein (just me & him) for at least 30 min. while he was banging the bank.No we didn`t get on tv & never will since the whole thing is sponsored by gas & motors. They want you to think you NEED a $30k boat to catch fish.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I entered a tournament last year in my kayak and competed against 30 others in their boats. I took second place and missed 1st by an ounce. If I had known there was a striper division (it had been added two days prior) I would have won it but I threw it back...

Sundrop, there are kayaks out there for you. A Malibu eXtreme or X-Factor would be perfect for you.

I like nasty weather kayak fishing too. I've been out in 35mph winds, heavy rain, and lightening that makes you question why the heck am I sitting here?

Kayak Kevin in Virginia Beach is the king of Hardcore Kayak Fishing though, hands down...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
it is really something to see 50 bass boats round the bend at full speed and KVD leading them towards you.
Gettin' run over by a bass bullet was one of my wife's fears, when I first got my yak. That's why it's yellow.

I actually got to meet KVD at the show the other weekend. "Hi Kevin, I'm Kevin." :D (We get that all the time.)

Drum -- is Kayak Kevin the tall guy I met last year in February? (You weren't there, that was while your leg was busted...) so I guess it's "is he a tall guy, and would I likely have met him at the February event"?

Do you still have that bent jighead that you once mentioned having saved for a long time?

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, Lefty, heck of a one that got away story. If fishing was easy and you caught em all, most of us would probably quit. Good lookin yak too. I have a liquid logic saluda. (12ft sik)Kudos Druminator on the tourney. You guys near the beach are lucky. I can`t figure why freshwater tournaments haven`t caught on. Seen a big one on the left coast that had seems like , I remember,almost 200 people. That would be very cool.Considering how far yakfishing has come in the ten yrs I`ve been at it, maybe in another ten? Somebody get that going! I`m gettin old. Anybody got any contacts at ESPN ? Maybe I can hit the beach for 1 this year.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Lefty, I remember he was a little taller than me. I spent most my time talking to him at the bar sitting down. I'm so glad that my leg is finally healed up. It's just been recently that I've been able to run on it again.

I've still got my bent jighead from the YouTube video I put up. It's in my name tag for GOPC.

Cape Fear did a few freashwater tournaments. I don't do much freshwater fishing except when the shad run. I may start doing a little more since I'm going to be here in Greenville another few years...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
So let me ask a funny question. I can see how to sit down in one, but if you arent limber enough to get your feet under you (squat) to get up how do you get out of it short of just rolling out into the water?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
how do you get out of it ?
Getting out -- or off -- of a sit-on-top is easy. Paddle into knee-deep water, swing your legs into a sidesaddle position, then stand up. It's a little trickier if you've got waves playin' with ya. The sit-on-tops most popular for fishing are plenty stable enough to sit sidesaddle, but since you're dismounting, stability doesn't really matter.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Now it is really looking interesting!! With a good solid back support how are they on your lower back? I assume if you can rest solidly against the backrest your arms/shoulders do all the work right?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Drop
There are two styles of seats these days. Originally, these sit-on-tops had a fanny-shaped "seat pan" molded into the boat. For an extra $80-$200 you'd buy a seat that looked pretty much like a seat cover you'd put in your car. The back could be anywhere from 12 to 20 inches high, some of them gel-filled, all that kinda stuff...

More recently the manufacturers are building seat backs onto the boats. These always fold down, and usually are closer to the 12" ballpark of heights. Some are permanently padded, some have removable padding standard, there might be some where you need to add the padding.

In all cases, the seat back is kept from falling backward by a series of adjustable straps, anchored to the gunwales out toward your knees. Instead of lifting the lever at the bottom of the car seat to adjust the angle of the back, you tighten or loosen these straps.

As for paddling and the joints that get worked, yes, it's my understanding that if you do it right, its mostly shoulder, and most people (who paddle properly) don't experience a lot of soreness. Of course most "normal" people don't paddle properly. The good part on our end is that most fishermen don't need to paddle a lot, so if you're only paddling a mile or three, there's only so much "damage" you can do. It's probably still helpful to take a class and learn to perform the best paddle strokes you can.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always say the TWO best times to fish are when it`s raining and when it`s not. When we had w. bass here (before the perch wiped them out) they always ran when the dogwoods bloomed. Know that doesn`t help but was always true. We could all talk for EVER on paddling. SO many variables. Size,offset,Speed, angles,entry point,& on & on.To me there are 3 main points.1-Relax you`re only gonna go so fast. 25% of your strength will get you 75% of the boats speed. 2-Realize there are a million different strokes and know which one to use for what you want the boat to do then. 3-Switch it up when distance is involved.Sometimes I will paddle underhanded. A little change can make a big difference on your muscles. No disputing a $ 300 paddle is nice but they`ll all move the boat. Snakehead`s got a Werner and we tell him if he`s in trouble we`re saving the paddle first.
REMEMBER ,FISH DON`T CARE WHAT YOU PAID.
IF YOU HEAR BANJO MUSIC PADDLE FASTER.
Keep it Hardcore-stu

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.