NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have used a #24 midge pupa fly to catch bait and caught bluegills that small. You are allowed to use them as bait as long as you legally take them. One thing I learned with this is to get very close to shore and don't let that tiny midge on a tiny tippet land in more than a few inches of water; larger panfish will readily take it and snap the tippet.
When I was a kid, my dad and older sister had aquariums and on a couple of Florida trips we seined for tropical fish. They got some really interesting fish, though dad learned a lesson about amateur tank stocking. Some of those beautiful tiny fish turn into big uglies rather quickly and they get big by eating everything else in the tank...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Growing up we used to catch river shiners using some black sewing thread, a green twig, a minnow hook, and a piece of hotdog. It was a great way to pass the time waiting on a catfish or drum to take our bait off the bottom.

On a related note, anybody else remember minnow hooks? We had ours in an old methiolate bottle.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
He is my age. Don't give him too much trouble.

What were we talking about again?

Reactions: Fish_Fiend
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.