NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted a report for the White Oak and forgot to mention the "Gulp" I used. As is the tradition, we stopped at the Neuse Sport Shop Friday afternoon as migrated toward the coast. I have heard lots of wonderful stuff about the new "Gulp" baits, decided to take out a loan to buy some in case the shrimp and minnows were hiding.

I have to say for $6 to $7 a pack, I was unimpressed. To be fair, there was a lot of action on any bait. I still have it the tackle box and will try it again when they are biting.

Just for info, I tried the mock flounder belly, white pogies and calico crab impersonators.

Has anyone else tried this stuff lately? Any luck?

PH

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
This time of year the finger mullet are usually the top baits. 4inches to 6inches unless you know where there are some big'uns laying in wait. Then you could go as big as a 12" mullet. Just be prepared for anything that hits it to be big. AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I've had good luck with the Gulp. I mean when they ain't biting, they ain't biting. But when they are they will hit the gulp like live bait -hard and furious. The thing I like about it is that it lasts a long time on the hook - the little pin fish and crabs can't get it off plus it will stay on the hook for hours. Don't get me wrong, live bait is almost always my first choice (and that o fthe fish :)) but I quit buying dead bait using the gulp instead (except for KM/Mahi fishing). It ain't cheap per piece but it lasts a while so you use less of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
parrothead,

I haven't had much luck with Gulp either. But, like you guys said, sometimes they just aren't biting. I've tried a double rig with Gulp and live bait. The only fish that have ever taken Gulp over live bait are blues. I've heard blues eat anything, so this was probably not an accurate experiment. This past weekend I was fishing in the Chesapeake Bay and finally tried out the "fishbites". Those worked well. We couldn't find bloodworms, so we got the bloodworm flavored fishbites. We caught spot, croaker and speckled trout on them. They also stay on the hook very well. I tried some Gulp shrimp there and didn't get a nibble. The fishbites were also $7, so I'm glad they worked.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
While on the subject of bait those folks coming down for the spot run might consider digging some earthworms to bring with them as they make pretty fair bait for spots croakers and such. I haven't tried them but I bet flounder trout and puppy drum would jump all over a big night crawler if presented right. Pinfish would drive you nuts in some spots though. Al

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Al--- I've been using red wigglers for spots since the mid 70's. they get brittle quick, but are much cheaper than bloodworms. Spots and sea mullet love them. If bite is big and you run out of worms slit spots open and use their guts like worms and keep on catching. Anything to do with cheap fishing, I've probably done it once, some things more than once.:)

Regards, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'll second the entrails trick. Funny though I haven't done it in a long time. It might look good to a trout if it were on the front hook of a mirrolure. That is something I never tried. Sometimes they get a little picky around lights. That might drive some over the edge. The next new flavor of Gulp... "FISH GUTS"... ;) AL

55 Posts
Thought I would chime in on this thread. I love both the "gulp" and the fishbites. I can't tell you how many drum, flounder, trout, croakers, etc. I have caught this year using both products.

Typically, I "tip" jigs with them, what a bass fisherman call a jig & pig I think. I wouldn't even think about taking a charter out on the flats without both in my tackle bag. I have the bloodworm flavored fishbites on a bottom rig to keep kids occupied catching croakers, etc while dads tries for the big redfish. This has worked as well.

As said before, if they aren't biting, well then, they just aren't going to bite. I have been catching reds steadily using these baits. Don't give up, they work and are well worth the price. Typically you can catch several fish with both before you have to change them out.

Tight lines and good luck!!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome to the wild, wild west Capt. Brent! When a man that has to depend on somebody else catching fish with it says that they will bite it if they are biting ; that is a strong recomendation in my book. I appreciate your recommendation. AL:)

55 Posts
Sinker man,

Here is a pic of 1 of 5 that were caught last Sat. afternoon using both gulp and fishbites.

They definitely work!!

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to being part of this board. Feel free to contact me anytime for reports, tips, whatever and I'll do whatever I can to help.

Tight lines!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I highly recommend the gulps. I have caught flounder, blues, red, and even small sharks using the gulp shrimp style baits. I prefer to use a simple yellow lead head with the penny colored 3'' shrimp. This works great when fishing sounds, marshes, dropoffs of channels etc. As for the fishbites I hear you can take a Hank Browne bucktail lure and tip it with a fishbite and the red fish will tear it up in shallower water. If you do use this technique with fishbites make sure you buy a weedless bucktail as you may be fishing in grass. Just my two cents.:cool:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The gulps work, just some days arent as good as others.

Trigger fish and groupers love the rock color'd shrimp ones.
Trigger fish and snappers go after the peeler crab colors

It wont take long or sit on the bottom long if you drop down a rock color'd crab
as soon as it hits the bottom you better be reelin up!!

But I've had days they just wont touch the stuff, though not too many.

White grub twirly tails, rock color'd shrimp and crab ones are my favorites and they definately work. For trigger fish, just cut some up into small chunks and put on a small hook. For those thinking of trying them, buy a bag or two and keep trying them, they do work especially if you move them (i.e. slow steady for the crab types, and quick pops for the shrimp type).

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I haven't tried this yet but one of the guys over at Tex's Tackle told me save my old gulp pieces (like when the pin fish bite off the tails) and then melt them down in an old pot. After they melt, let them cool then chop them up into chunk baits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.